5 to 1 pulling system?

recycledsole

Hey guys,

I have used a 3 : 1 pulling system before, but today I was playing around with a 5 : 1 system, and wondering if I have done it correctly? I know everything is too close together, my setup was tight. In the field all the hardware would be more spaced out.

Please see attached picture.

Thanks so much in advance for your help

20140222_174826.jpg.a3a3ba63863c00d0a9f1e9370ad3e0e2.jpg

You want as little sitback as possible on the friction hitch, you have a good 20cm of sitback in that system, which is fine as a safety, but you will loose a great deal of pull if you let the system sit back onto that hitch.

I hope that makes sense :P

A shorter hitch would mean less loss of pull when releasing the system.

ALSO i wouldnt attach the top carabiners to the robe with a prussik, tie a midline bowline and clip the karabiners into that. This is far less likely to bind, and 100% less likely to slip down the rope. Plus it removes the requirement for an extra prussik loop, keeps it simple. Make sure you tie it into the correct loop though, the eye and not the tail! (the tail also forms a loop with a midline bowline)

Edited by martwizz

i would of thought there would be a lot of pressure of those prussics??

id put the holding prussik as close to the end you pull by hand so its under the least pressure.

we use a metal cam to fix onto the main line, easier to advance and stronger i guess, a usefull set up in the right place.

carl.