Importing Olive wood from Spain viability

Doddy

Hi, new here... Did a log delivery the other day and had a customer ask me if I would be interested in pruning 120 large well established large Olive trees on a plot of land he owns just outside Marbella. He said they haven't been pruned for 10 years so wants the cut well back. The last time they were done the pile of wood was huge appently. Im estimating on 2 shipping containers full. I'm waiting for some pictures from him to get more of an idea.

Do you think this could be viable considering the price that olive wood can command. Have seen one supplier charging £649 a pallet!!! Would need to look into shipping it back in containers or by road.

I'm am based in Surrey and the market market down here for premium firewood is strong as is net bags... Many people in SW London don't have space to store loose loads... I've sold over 2000 30kg nets @ £7.50 this season!

Edited by Doddy

Olive trees grow at all angles and tend to be farely stunted when well tended. The smell of burnt olive wood, as with burnt orange wood, has a sweet smell.

During the summer/dry months in Spain, it is illegal to have bonfires. Even if you're the land owner. Seasoning wouldn't be a problem but grove owners don't want dead wood laying around loose. Olive wood can be dense, even when dry. If it's going to be shipped straight after cutting, it's going to be pretty heavy. So weight may come into it more than volume.

I doubt that you'll find a Britsh firewood buyer at that price but maybe there's other markets for it.

Edited by TGB

Here in Brittany fire wood commands a high price with single pallets selling for 90euros without delivery.

3m3 tipped for 240euros

I have several friends who deal in wood from the small local woodsman to a larger company who imports it's wood from Central France.

My understanding from returning expats moving North from Spain is that Olive wood per m3 is sold very cheaply compared to Oak up here.

Just an idea, you could find a landowner who will let you store the wood until seasoned and give you time to arrange shipping?

Shipping by truck may be a more viable option too if you can stack it tight onto pallets.

You can get a price from the web but you'll need a means of loading it of course.

Regards

Ty

Given the weight and hassle involved with moving the prunings any distance why not just do what the locals do and sell it locally for firewood? They barely bother cutting it up; it gets delivered in 2-3' lengths and the customers are left to get it into their 16" burner themselves! At least you could steal a march there and sell it in sensibly sized pieces.