Trees in Towns 2

Gary Prentice

Hi, can anyone supply me with the four sub-categories of the 'Open Space' designation of the survey.

I've got Public Open Space, Less Accessible Open Space - eg schools and hospitals, Private open Space- front gardens.

TBH I'm getting confused because the original (1st)survey used the undeveloped or open space designation with 9 or 10 sub categories and doesn't correspond with the second survey (or the summary part of it that I've got):confused1:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haven't got Trees in Towns 2 at hand, but think the forth category of OS may be the informal areas like woodlands, commons and allotments etc.....as opposed to formal ares like public parks

Don't quote me though :biggrin:

I'm going to have to mate, I need to get this assignment in. So the reference is;

Mr D Humphries, Senior Arboriculturist, City of London?:lol::lol:

I mean like, its not that important its only the L6 Diploma, just my entire future career that's at stake:001_tt2:

Joking aside, I think you're right. I've been trying to extrapolate the classification from the original survey and that would fit in. The summary is difficult in places to follow, but Rob Rainford is sending me some more info too, many thanks:thumbup1::thumbup::thumbup1:

Attached is exerpt from london tree strategy doc that might help confirm it was 'woodlands'

Thanks Jules, funny enough I've got that open at the moment. I think it must be part of the sub-categories as David said too.

This should cover property categorisation:

Low Density Residential Areas (LDR).

Medium Density Residential Areas (MDR).

High Density Residential Areas (HDR).

Town Centres and Commerial Areas.

Industrial Areas.

Open Space (including four sub-categories).

I'm preparing an outline tree strategy for a local authority as an assignment. Newcastle was identified as a model example, but it only took them six years:001_rolleyes: we get a week:lol:

I know roughly how many did at the time of the survey (its in the survey) and it's meant to have increased. That might actually be a good question for my personal project.

I wonder how many authorities have a completed inventory and have implemented a continuing inspection regime. Looking at some of the recent failures where symptoms of decay were evident (in the press and on the internet) I'd suspect not enough.

The TO at Poole wrote a good article on the difficulties of creating a strategy, due to the political and fiscal problems involved and the methodology used to get it ratified and adopted. Maybe we shouldn't be too critical of authorities without them as i don't think it's that easy to implement. The article was called 'Tree Management Policy' by R Nicholson, Arb Journal Vol 34, No 1, march 2012 pages 17-28. It's downloadable from T&F

I know roughly how many did at the time of the survey (its in the survey) and it's meant to have increased. That might actually be a good question for my personal project.

I wonder how many authorities have a completed inventory and have implemented a continuing inspection regime. Looking at some of the recent failures where symptoms of decay were evident (in the press and on the internet) I'd suspect not enough.

The TO at Poole wrote a good article on the difficulties of creating a strategy, due to the political and fiscal problems involved and the methodology used to get it ratified and adopted. Maybe we shouldn't be too critical of authorities without them as i don't think it's that easy to implement. The article was called 'Tree Management Policy' by R Nicholson, Arb Journal Vol 34, No 1, march 2012 pages 17-28. It's downloadable from T&F

I think I have seen that article cited elsewhere, I'll download it and have a look. Having worked in Local Government in the recent past at a fairly senior level, I can tell even before I look a the article that it was probably sickeningly difficult to get Councillors to sign up to anything that creates revenue or capital budgetary requirements and doesn't immediately win votes.

I think I have seen that article cited elsewhere, I'll download it and have a look. Having worked in Local Government in the recent past at a fairly senior level, I can tell even before I look a the article that it was probably sickeningly difficult to get Councillors to sign up to anything that creates revenue or capital budgetary requirements and doesn't immediately win votes.

Enough said:lol: Nicholson did a grand job to exploit factors that overcame those problems.