static line?

GARY

Hey everyone i needs some advice i want to get a static line for footlocking. i like the look of the celock (globe 5000) any faults? also i got myself a rope wrench and ive only used it a few times on my 13 mm new england hi-vee. is there much difference between using a static line and the standered climbing line. i work with some old school guys who have no intrest in srt or even hitch climbing set ups. its pursuk and body thrust all day as im the yongest it there way as they say they been there done it. it gets realy disharting when they just dismiss new things in the industrey anyways sorry about the rant.

gary.

Globes real nice . I would say that using for work positioning would be less then ideal as its quite static . But for access and foot locking its a goodie .

A few of the lads on here use the kern master for srtwp. A good multi purpose rope that stretches under heavy loads . Unsure of how bouncy it is but apparently it's good.

Static lines have less stretch ao in case of a fall it can put huge forces on your body coming to a comple static stop where as the semi static rope we use for climbing have a little more stretch and provide a more dynamic arrest to the fall . In saying this though, our ropes we use are not designed for fall arrest so climbing above your anchor you "shouldn't" do .

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Edited by colemanjessenz

All arb ropes are static lines. Dynamic lines are generally used in rock climbing as they will encounter dynamic falls. CE approved static ropes still have to have 3-4% elongation which is what most arb lines have and also most industrial static lines.

Globe 5000 is a dyneema line and what I'd call super static as in it has absolutely no give what so ever! And is not CE approved for climbing (as it doesn't have 3-4% stretch required for CE approval as a static line) unless used as part of a CE footlock set-up as sold by Tefuelberger this incorporates a dynamic foot locking prussik, used in this set-up it becomes a CE approved system. If that makes sense.

Some people love globe or similar super static ropes, personally I'm no fan I find them hard on the body as there is no cushion, and a little uncomfortable to handle.

Although I do use Sterling HTP which is close to being super static (and not CE approved) but has enough give for me to feel comfortable using.

I'd look at Kernmaster or even Velocity which is cheap enough to buy, and avoid globe 5000 for now.

All arb ropes are static lines. Dynamic lines are generally used in rock climbing as they will encounter dynamic falls. CE approved static ropes still have to have 3-4% elongation which is what most arb lines have and also most industrial static lines.

Globe 5000 is a dyneema line and what I'd call super static as in it has absolutely no give what so ever! And is not CE approved for climbing (as it doesn't have 3-4% stretch required for CE approval as a static line) unless used as part of a CE footlock set-up as sold by Tefuelberger this incorporates a dynamic foot locking prussik, used in this set-up it becomes a CE approved system. If that makes sense.

Some people love globe or similar super static ropes, personally I'm no fan I find them hard on the body as there is no cushion, and a little uncomfortable to handle.

Although I do use Sterling HTP which is close to being super static (and not CE approved) but has enough give for me to feel comfortable using.

I'd look at Kernmaster or even Velocity which is cheap enough to buy, and avoid globe 5000 for now.

Super static ? Did you make that up ? Surely if it has no stretch its static. A lot of lines claim to be static when they aren't The lines we climb on are semi static . The c e lock comes with a dynamic footlock sling as a shock absorber ,a good point though.

if you are using it for srt access would be good to have some sort of shock absorber in there

Edited by colemanjessenz

Super static ? Did you make that up ? Surely if it has no stretch its static. A lot of lines claim to be static when they aren't The lines we climb on are semi static . The c e lock comes with a dynamic footlock sling as a shock absorber ,a good point though.

if you are using it for srt access would be good to have some sort of shock absorber in there

I made super static up yes.

It gets confusing. If you've ever climbed on static lines they are the same as our arb specific ropes, which can be referred to as semi-static. Beal antipodes is a classic, also the Tefuelberger platinum and patron all with some stretch/bounce,, these are sold as static lines and are static lines.

Globe 5000 is not a static line as it does not conform to the standard of a static line and therefore does not have CE approval and never will unless used as part of a system.

I see what you mean mark , i use power static for access every day and although i have a rhythm with the bounce when using srt , the rubberband effect is less then desirable esp for foot locking. it seems that the op is after a super low stretch static line for foot locking, in which globe is ideal.

static rope to me is a rope with little to no stretch eg torpedo,globe,arbocup,runner,apruss etc.

I do see what you are saying though mark although i would argue that a majority of "static" lines are kernmantle and have very different properties to our arb specific ropes

Please excuse the grammer it has never been a strong point :001_tongue: