Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Arb-Trucks Discuss Arb-trucks, 4x4's, timber lorries etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-12   #21 (permalink)

Re: Td5 Or Tdci....?

Tdci must be an incredible motor then because one of the best things about my 90 td5 is the beautiful tickover of the engine , its just got that sound of quality. Would like to take Mendips advice and chip it though but too much still to do to it first ( blingy stuff )
Old 01-05-12   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2trot View Post
Tdci must be an incredible motor then because one of the best things about my 90 td5 is the beautiful tickover of the engine , its just got that sound of quality. Would like to take Mendips advice and chip it though but too much still to do to it first ( blingy stuff )
HI BORN 2 we are now looking at 110 xs a nice 06 will do the job but i need it chip thanks jon
Old 01-05-12   #23 (permalink)

TDCi all the way as far as I'm concerned?
I've run 300tdi, TD5 and now 2.4 TDCi in all types of conditions with plenty of heavy towing and quite simply the TDCi is the way forward?

The TD5 is just too much like a two stroke for my liking? needs a good bootfull of throttle to get off and likes plenty of revs to keep things moving along.
They do sound fantastic though!

The TDCi has loads more useable torque and with the much lower first gear is far and away the better towing vehicle in everyday use.
The sixth gear gives much better cruising and I have noticed that when towing the mpg doesn't nosedive as much as the other engine variants?

However if they sold them with this six speed box and 300tdi, I'd swap tomorrow!

I ran a GKN overdrive on my 300 tdi for 150,000 miles and what a difference it made to living with a pre TDCi Defender.
Old 02-05-12   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGP Eddie View Post
TDCi all the way as far as I'm concerned?
I've run 300tdi, TD5 and now 2.4 TDCi in all types of conditions with plenty of heavy towing and quite simply the TDCi is the way forward?

The TD5 is just too much like a two stroke for my liking? needs a good bootfull of throttle to get off and likes plenty of revs to keep things moving along.
They do sound fantastic though!

The TDCi has loads more useable torque and with the much lower first gear is far and away the better towing vehicle in everyday use.
The sixth gear gives much better cruising and I have noticed that when towing the mpg doesn't nosedive as much as the other engine variants?

However if they sold them with this six speed box and 300tdi, I'd swap tomorrow!

I ran a GKN overdrive on my 300 tdi for 150,000 miles and what a difference it made to living with a pre TDCi Defender.
HI MATE my last td5 you did not need to give it a boot full of throttle i can tell you it will pull away on a hill with ifor tipper with no throttle its the only land rover i had what will go a very step hill in 3r gear I've had a go in my disco 3 and no good but then our td5 had 200hp plus 310 lbs TQ lots more power then a 2.4 land rover or the new 2,2 one thanks jon
Old 02-05-12   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
Yes the 2.4

The latest ones are a 2.2 land rover engine same as freelander.
I thought that but it's not, it's a smaller bore version of the previous long stroke 2.4 Ford engine. The 2.2 in the Freelander and Evoque are the same as the new Jag XF engine which is smaller bore / longer stroke still...