unison Ballet on Strike Action.

PeteB

I'm not one for union membership or strike action, but then, I've never been in a job that demands it or where a union requires it.

I brought my house off of a Unison member who has never bothered to notify them of a change of address. After three years of forwarding her mail, I got fed up and just returned them clearly marked as, addressee not known at this address. I still get her mail which goes straight in the bin.

Unison recently balloted its membership on strike action and the motion was carried. The results were sent to me and I opened the letter and was surprised to discover that less than 30% bothered to vote!

A couple of points spring to mind;

1. Why couldn't the members be bothered to vote?

2. How much do Unison take from its members in revenue?

3. At what point is a ballot counted as worthless due to poor turnout?

4. How much union money (members money) has been wasted on a ballot about the pension rights etc and they could not be bothered to voice (vote) either way.

The general election had a turn out of about 60%, so it hardly comparable :001_rolleyes:

I'll try and remember to bring the letter home from work, but there was some ploitical spin to turn out for the election! you know what these people are like they won't let the truth stand in the way of telling you bwhat they want you to hear!

To be classed as valid the law as it currently stands, states that Union Ballots need only to have a minimum turnout of 25% of those who are eligible to vote. How ever the government is currently considering bringing in legislation to change this to 50%.

ERGO: Currently, if the minimum no. required (25%), turned out to vote and voted in favour by 50.1% then potentially a motion could be carried with less than 13% of those who are eligible, actually bothering to vote.

Sadly despite centuries if not millenia of universal struggle for a right and just society for all, it would appear increasingly that the idea of democracy is becoming a minority sport.

The wife finally received her letter and after a bit of number crunching the 'a resounding "yes"' it mentions in the letter is actually 22.67% of the membership entitled to vote (as long as my maths is correct).

Personally i feel that any vote of this nature should require at least a 75% turnout to be valid. Then at least it would require a minimum 37.5% of the total membership to be in agreement for something to go through.

I'm not one for union membership or strike action, but then, I've never been in a job that demands it or where a union requires it.

I brought my house off of a Unison member who has never bothered to notify them of a change of address. After three years of forwarding her mail, I got fed up and just returned them clearly marked as, addressee not known at this address. I still get her mail which goes straight in the bin.

Unison recently balloted its membership on strike action and the motion was carried. The results were sent to me and I opened the letter and was surprised to discover that less than 30% bothered to vote!

A couple of points spring to mind;

1. Why couldn't the members be bothered to vote?

2. How much do Unison take from its members in revenue?

3. At what point is a ballot counted as worthless due to poor turnout?

4. How much union money (members money) has been wasted on a ballot about the pension rights etc and they could not be bothered to voice (vote) either way.

Clearly 70% of the members are not receiving their mail:sneaky2: