how much can I pay my son to work for me

daveindales

my son is still at school but is now legally allowed to work. I know everyone, including him can earn about £7400 before paying any tax. Can I give him a salary of £7400 a year without this looking too suspicious? He would be working for me most weekends and holidays. I'd rather him have this in a salary and pay him over the normal rate, than pay the tax myself. I know there are rules about hours allowed to work etc. I would make sure we obayed these rules.

This is a way for my son to have a good wage and me to reduce tax. Would the tax man see anything wrong in what I intend to do?

there are issues with having staff under 16

I dont know all the rules but I do know my son can not have a job till he is 16 or leaves school unless it is washing up ect.

My mate wanted him to work in hols on landscaping but looked into it and was a total no go end of.

do you have an accountant if so ask them as they should of been paying him since birth if you can syphon off 7k tax free

He's under 16. The accountant provided me with a student working form, said fill it in and they would be no problem. However, I did'nt tell the accountant he'd be making £7400 in a year. Not sure about National Insurance, but the accountant will sort that out. He will just be dragging branches about and carrying posts as I'm tree planing at the moment. does anyone elso employ their school age children. Would be interested in their experiences.

He's under 16. The accountant provided me with a student working form, said fill it in and they would be no problem. However, I did'nt tell the accountant he'd be making £7400 in a year. Not sure about National Insurance, but the accountant will sort that out. He will just be dragging branches about and carrying posts as I'm tree planing at the moment. does anyone elso employ their school age children. Would be interested in their experiences.

My son works for me on suitable jobs when out of school and has done so sice he was born really.

Now 15 and loves the money:confused1:

I did buy some Arborcoms which although not cheap give me more control and he learns more and is safe and we have a good laugh as well:thumbup:

No pocket money if he wants money he works and tbh is very good better than most groundies and tbh climbs well as well. He does not want to do it as a career but he does enjoy it.

A couple of other tree companies also use him in the hols which says a lot imo