transit smoke!

danroker1987

hi all

i have an old r reg transit and it seems to smoke a bit high up in each gear especially third,

its a bluey grey smoke,it passed the mot ok, but i rather it didnt smoke ,i thought maybe fuel filter?? i looked on transit forum but nothing really hit the nail and i dont fancy paying a ford mechanic to awnser the question online for 23 quid,any help much appreciated , i need to make the old girl last me

thanks

dan

:001_smile:

yep sounds like its burning oil, cheaper to get another engine than rip it apart, if its blackish it could be the pump timming has been altered to give it more power or the egr valve is faulty.

you will get an engine cheap as chips or buy another full transit thats fine and keep yours for spares, i may know where one is.........:001_rolleyes::biggrin:

my 99 transit (non turbo) became very smokey after overheating due to water pump failure .i assumed the rings had been damaged until i lent it to a friend who changed the ebd valve (in manifolds to reburn exhaust gasses) cured smoke ,ran for 3 more years. might be worth a try

Rings or valve stem seals could be gone and burning oil, or it could be in burned fuel. You should have a fuel screw on the fuel pump somewhere adjusting that in could help. Also try taking off the rod going from the top of the fuel pump to the manifold and zap strap the lever for the butterfly manifold end wide open, it should start and generally perform better, more air in should mean better combustion and less smoke, you can even remove the butterfly from the inlet completely. If it's burning oil engines are so cheap it's worth just buying another or a set of rings or valve stem seals, compression test should tell you if it's rings or valves. Fuel pump timing can also affect smoke, uncover timing belt and loosen timing pulley on pump and adjust see if it makes a difference.

it could be a number of things. best to smell it somehow to see if it is burning oil.

blue smoke can also be caused by worn pump, injectors and pump timing.

my VW transporter has always smoked a light blue from cold especially if i let it idle and warm up while i have a brew.

taking its age into account i would keep an eye on the oil level and just use it until it fails an mot, then sort it/bin it :001_smile: