Land Rover tipper weight question

adam4838

Hi Guys,

I run a recently converted 110 Tipper with a 3500kg GVW.

I had it full to the brim yesterday with chip, driver, Labrador and all the kit. and thought id pop it on the weigh bridge to get an idea of where I was regarding legal weight.

GVW was 3250kg, so I was happy knowing I had 250KG in reserve.

Rear axle was 2260kg, putting me a mere 60kg over the stated maximum.

I was reasonably happy with this as it was such a marginal ammount. My question is, in order to level out my weight a bit, would fitting a heavy winch to the front balance things out and give me a bit more over the back?

Reason I ask is a bloke a climb for has a 110 tipper with a slighlty shorter body, but a heavy Husky winch and full bull bar on the front. The front sits down when empty.

My thought was, if the front is counter balanced I may gain a bit of extra capacity on the rear?

I dont know the ins and outs of vehicle chasssis / wheelbase calculations, so would appreciate any views.

Cheers,

Adam

I had thought about a rack but I have got a small straight through locker built into the rear body. This keeps the weight of the kit right behind the cab and I dont tend to struggle too much for room as I keep some items in chipper hopper.

Have you ever weighed yours and found low GVW but high axle weight?

Mines a 130 single cabwith an aluminium back so weight is spread much better over the 2 axles. A few years ago I did measure the different axles and total weight but that was empty. I remember that I did have enough spare weight on the back axle to send the whole rig the wrong side of 3500kg before the back axle went over on its own.

Mine very full weighs inexcess of 4.5 tonnes(wet conifer chip no driver or passengers) taking 6+ cube of chip. This was checked on a site clearance where the chip went from one side of the site to another, not via public roads.