Arb vehicles

melvyn

I don't know about you but I'm always wondering if I have the right combination of vehicles that suit most situations.The criteria is capacity for waste,tipping body,room for tools,off road capability.With this in mind I have a double cab ldv truck 3.5t and a l200 mitsubishi single cab.In combination they overcome most situations but I see pick ups with tipping bodies and other arb trucks that appear to cater for everything. On closer examination these combination vehicles tend to sacifice something.Wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this and what they think the desired set up would be.Would be interesting to see pictures of set ups.:confused1:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The main problem to address is moving arisings, produce, waste call it what you will from site, I suggest that almost all arb trucks with extended sides/ greedy boards are running over the weight capacity of the vehicle, although extended sides make a tidier set up, hides the contents out of sight ( gives you somewhere to pee!) we had a pick up with tool box and tipping back and changed to crew cab with tipping back, I think I prefer the tool box separate to cabin although there is a security benefit in having some of the gear in the cab. I think to start with a tipping pick up with 4x4 & trailer gives the best options, possibly with the 4x4 as your out of work transport. On from there tractor trailer ( mog love or hate em ) to shift volume weight from site.

Hmmm, with hindsight (at a lot of money), I'd go for a U1000/1200 Unimog with front mount chipper and chipbox and a 3 way tipping/timber trailer with a small crane on it for bigger jobs. Then either a Landrover 110 or Discovery commercial for the tools/ladder/ifor williams trailer.

As many have seen this is my LDV :thumbup: Its a work in progress and soon (ish) it will have chassis tool boxes for the gear. The bigger jobs i get in, I do with Treequip (Andy) on here, He has a defender 90 and a 16ft ifor trailer, Which normally transports the logs and the LDV takes the chip, Works very nicely for us :thumbup1:

597657c435eda_LDV2.jpg.989fe279911536ac94b6831bf762ee0c.jpg

ldv.jpg.b7c3fa80ce8c1a3186f588c8fc5b79df.jpg

I agree with mog but remember vosa don’t like tractors carrying load , but sure, mog as power base for transport, chip, grind, lift, carry . where else can you get a 50 mph 100 – 300 hp go any where chipper, poss gross of 24 tonnes, as ag spec on road, ? small enough for domestic works but big enough for most commercial situations. Be careful with purchase though buy the best you can get from the best

Ford need to get their act together and bring out a new 4x4 5 tonne gross Transit with low box capability.

There is a huge demand for 4x4 for transits, why they shy away from them I dont know

sadly Dean i think the reason that fors are shying away from making a 5 ton 4x4 transit tipper is because they still have not managed to get their new shape 3.5 ton tipper up to the job !!!!

I agree with mog but remember vosa don’t like tractors carrying load , but sure, mog as power base for transport, chip, grind, lift, carry . where else can you get a 50 mph 100 – 300 hp go any where chipper, poss gross of 24 tonnes, as ag spec on road, ? small enough for domestic works but big enough for most commercial situations. Be careful with purchase though buy the best you can get from the best

JCB fastrack. VOSA can naff off then.

If VOSA dont like tractors carrying a load, what are all the ttractors round me doing:confused1: Not sure what you mean.:001_smile: