Mini Artic

donnk

So planning our next truck. Ideally we need 5 ton capacity to stay legal. This rules out all the 7.5 tonners in reality once kit, fuel and blokes are loaded.

So was thinking, us old gits with C1E can drive a combined van and trailer train weight of 12 tons. https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

something like a daily or isuzu double cab with a big hiab fitted behind cab (2 ton lift at 7m) short chassis with artic hitch. weighing in at say 4.5 ton unladen. Then a tipping trailer with air brakes etc naked weight say 2.5 ton. leaving a payload of 5 ton.

This gets around the o licence, operators yard and tacho requirements. Would also open up the flexibility of moving 5 ton diggers which are not much more money than the 3 tonners for a whole lot more digger.

Thoughts ?

just to add you need to sit the trailer test to get 12 tons, its 8.2 with grandfather rights.

Edited by donnk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't seen this type of rig about before - the only mini artics that I have seen were for delivering cherry pickers etc.

That fact that it isn't a common sight may mean that it doesn't work well?

I think with the kind of investment in kit you're proposing you'd be better off investing in a C+E Licence.

Then you could choose from a far greater range of trucks etc without having to modify, meaning you'd probably save the money you spent on training but end up with more skills and a better rig

something like a daily or isuzu double cab with a big hiab fitted behind cab (2 ton lift at 7m) short chassis with artic hitch. weighing in at say 4.5 ton unladen.

This gets around the o licence, operators yard and tacho requirements.

Thoughts ?

Anything over 3500kg MAM needs an "O" licence

I haven't seen this type of rig about before - the only mini artics that I have seen were for delivering cherry pickers etc.

That fact that it isn't a common sight may mean that it doesn't work well?

Iveco only offered them on the market for about a year, around 2004

You cant drive 12000kg on a pre 97 licence. You are limited to 8250kg. As you will have the 107 restriction. To remove it taking the c1e test after passing the medical, theory and mod tests plus you will need the cpc.

Edited by Justme

can be done, they are not plated until registered so any body place could do it in theory. order new double cab chassis and have the spare chassis lobbed off and a hitch mounted behind the hiab. be cheaper and easier than having a tipping body made.

I suspect they are not done as its a 'gap' in the market. Very attractive being able to move a 5 ton digger legally on a car licence.

can be done, they are not plated until registered so any body place could do it in theory. order new double cab chassis and have the spare chassis lobbed off and a hitch mounted behind the hiab. be cheaper and easier than having a tipping body made.

I suspect they are not done as its a 'gap' in the market. Very attractive being able to move a 5 ton digger legally on a car licence.

If you hold a pre 2013 BE licence then your towing weight is unlimited. However the vehicle must be rated to tow the amount you have it plated at.