Rear axle in woodland

Baffle

Hello folks.

My being here is a bit phoney as I am trying to research the history of a East Mids wood, and am interested to know if any of you might be able to identify an abandoned rear axle that I've found.

I've tried rolling it to find any marks/numbers but haven't quite succeeded

There is a central diff with 12 bolt holes for a circular plate, and it has wheels with R16 7.00 tyres. The axles are tapered from the diff.

If anyone is up for trying to help, I'll post up some images.

thanks in advance!

Thanks very much. Yes I'm waiting to get approval to post from one of the classic forums, but they ain't very quick off the mark....

but I'll keep trying. There isn't any sign of anything else from a trailer nearby, but the area is riddled with well grown over but well preserved tyre ruts from a ?1940s clear fell episode we think. Amazing how stuff can survive in the woods - but I guess (you) woodsfolk know all about that!!

Out of interest, why are the split rims a give away?

Thanks very much. Yes I'm waiting to get approval to post from one of the classic forums, but they ain't very quick off the mark....

but I'll keep trying. There isn't any sign of anything else from a trailer nearby, but the area is riddled with well grown over but well preserved tyre ruts from a ?1940s clear fell episode we think. Amazing how stuff can survive in the woods - but I guess (you) woodsfolk know all about that!!

Out of interest, why are the split rims a give away?

The most significant factor was that you can repair a split rim tyre with nothing more than a spanner and a Dunlop kit.

Commercial tyres were also high ply and getting them on a bead with levers was "difficult"