New Hilux Review

Commando

Im thinking of trading in my 2013 3.0L Invincible (double cab) Hilux for new. Now its been out for a few months whats the general consensus? Enough grunt or wait for the 2.8 (Inshallah)? Real time fuel economy? General impressions etc.

Thx in advance

Craig

Im thinking of trading in my 2013 3.0L Invincible (double cab) Hilux for new. Now its been out for a few months whats the general consensus? Enough grunt or wait for the 2.8 (Inshallah)? Real time fuel economy? General impressions etc.

Thx in advance

Craig

I have one, nice to have 6 gears and 3.5 ton towing

Turning circle ****!

I'm 5 months in.

I'll get fuel stat's when I go out later.

Haven't done any particularly taxing off road as yet but all the indicators are favourable including the many YouTube reviews which put it (slightly) ahead of the class opposition.

I've gone from 110 Utility SW to double cab Invincible so comparisons for comfort, drive quality, accessories, and "smile" factor are totally off the scale!

Biggest (ongoing) gripes are with dealer not vehicle.

Delivery forecast was repeatedly missed and resulted in an ultimatum - provide a 4x4 sub vehicle until mine is delivered or bash it.

Canopy was damaged on fitting by dealer. Been back to paint shop once - unsat.

Forward facing camera very temperamental (sunshine, rain, mist all trip it out which disables road sign recognition, speed, collision and lane departure warning systems) according to dealer, not common in Hilux but common on other Toyota with same camera outfit.

Getting these, and a couple of other minor "new car" issues resolved has been like pulling teeth.

Delivery issues resulted in first ultimatum - provide & satisfy a reasonable DF and provide a 4x4 until delivery or the deals off.

Then they wanted me to take the vehicle in to get snagging done (and assured me it would only take a day.) it actually took 2 weeks, they collected, left the demo Hilux and delivered mine back.

Camera issue still not resolved and paint work unsat on canopy.

Long and arduous attempts at getting someone to "own" the issues resulted in another ultimatum - fix it or face legal action to recover costs, no more time, no more excuses.

They should have been in touch to arrange collection for remedial action this coming week and loan truck.

Guess I'll be phoning them again on Monday.

Snows Group Exeter (although the commercial rep is now Plymouth based)

Vehicle - 5*

Regional dealership - as much use as tits on a flat fish.

Don't forget 15% discount if a member at Mole Valley! (Must have been a member for 6 months to qualify I think but with a £10 annual account fee nothing lost to do it in anticipation, after all, if you go with Snows it'll probably take them longer than that to organise a sale & delivery!!!)

I'm not so troubled by the issues as I am the difficulty I've had trying to get them resolved via the dealership.

Camera ought to be a simple plug & play replacement.

Paintwork on canopy, yes I am being "picky", but they didn't price me for shop damaged so I'm not settling for shop damaged.

My logic is, if I took it in for value for sale, they'd dock me for knocks & scratches so I want it as it should be.

Had it not been for the brand reputation, and the hassle of starting over, I'd have pulled out of the deal.

My dissatisfaction is with the dealership rather than the vehicle.

Absolutely fair enough though - you buy new so you expect it to be perfect. Scratches and niggles are not acceptable.

I am surprised by the mole valley discount - wonder what's in it for them. On a top spec auto thats got to be £4.5 off list.

If I understand it correctly, MVF have got fleet terms with Toyota.

All the usual business was direct with the dealer, just filled in a form with MVF membership No. and that was all the input they had from my perspective.

Roger Young (of DMax infamy) do similar for BASC and NFU membership.

Ford don't (at least didn't) do anything similar.

I was looking at the Ranger but then found out about the discount @ Toyota which brought pricing for Hilux in line with similar spec Ranger.

Similar price, Hilux was in front in terms of Rep and spec - no brainer!

Av MPG at moment is 29.2. That's local running around and towing, haven't done a long road run for a while so not sure on a steadier cycle.

Thx for that Kev.

I'm pretty sure BASC deal is on with Toyota also, it certainly was when I was looking at doing the deal last year. I didn't go through with that due to Snows Exeter not bothering to follow it up.

I purchased my last Hilux through Snows Plymouth and tbh they were pretty good.

You are right about the scratches etc when trying to do a trade in deal. They offered me stupidly little for mine with 35k on it, much tooth sucking at the couple of minor scuffs on front bumper.

Assume it's not lacking grunt-wise?

Thx Craig

Thx for that Kev.

I'm pretty sure BASC deal is on with Toyota also, it certainly was when I was looking at doing the deal last year. I didn't go through with that due to Snows Exeter not bothering to follow it up.

I purchased my last Hilux through Snows Plymouth and tbh they were pretty good.

You are right about the scratches etc when trying to do a trade in deal. They offered me stupidly little for mine with 35k on it, much tooth sucking at the couple of minor scuffs on front bumper.

Assume it's not lacking grunt-wise?

Thx Craig

I don't really "do" engine stuff, so my analysis wouldn't be too technical, and I came over from a 110 so a Dartmoor pony would probably impress too.

It's got plenty of poke and a power button if the local clown is tailgating! Tows well - no dramas.

I remember one of the YouTube reviews discussing the potential issues of downsizing the engine compared to previous models, they assessed that, with tech advances, Toyota had got more output from a smaller engine.... detail was a bit lost on me but they seemed convinced.

I'm 5 months in.

I'll get fuel stat's when I go out later.

Haven't done any particularly taxing off road as yet but all the indicators are favourable including the many YouTube reviews which put it (slightly) ahead of the class opposition.

I've gone from 110 Utility SW to double cab Invincible so comparisons for comfort, drive quality, accessories, and "smile" factor are totally off the scale!

Biggest (ongoing) gripes are with dealer not vehicle.

Delivery forecast was repeatedly missed and resulted in an ultimatum - provide a 4x4 sub vehicle until mine is delivered or bash it.

Canopy was damaged on fitting by dealer. Been back to paint shop once - unsat.

Forward facing camera very temperamental (sunshine, rain, mist all trip it out which disables road sign recognition, speed, collision and lane departure warning systems) according to dealer, not common in Hilux but common on other Toyota with same camera outfit.

Getting these, and a couple of other minor "new car" issues resolved has been like pulling teeth.

Delivery issues resulted in first ultimatum - provide & satisfy a reasonable DF and provide a 4x4 until delivery or the deals off.

Then they wanted me to take the vehicle in to get snagging done (and assured me it would only take a day.) it actually took 2 weeks, they collected, left the demo Hilux and delivered mine back.

Camera issue still not resolved and paint work unsat on canopy.

Long and arduous attempts at getting someone to "own" the issues resulted in another ultimatum - fix it or face legal action to recover costs, no more time, no more excuses.

They should have been in touch to arrange collection for remedial action this coming week and loan truck.

Guess I'll be phoning them again on Monday.

Snows Group Exeter (although the commercial rep is now Plymouth based)

Vehicle - 5*

Regional dealership - as much use as tits on a flat fish.

Don't forget 15% discount if a member at Mole Valley! (Must have been a member for 6 months to qualify I think but with a £10 annual account fee nothing lost to do it in anticipation, after all, if you go with Snows it'll probably take them longer than that to organise a sale & delivery!!!)

Snows are now Dealers for VW Commercial. I went in to discuss Amarok. Similar experience, bunch of wasters in there. :thumbdown: