Whats the compromise with remapping or chipping a truck?

Woodworks

Often see folks raving about remaps or the latest chip but there must be a downside. Presumably if you get more power and better efficiency the manufacturers would do it so whats the downside?

Thanks

I think the manufactures put a huge safety factor in their standard tune to avoid blow ups . Also there is the emissions thing . If you remap/dhip upgrade your truck it does not mean its going to fail full stop . Also you can map it for economy or more power or somewhere in between . I think just making the engine more efficient is not a bad thing . If you go gently you can use less fuel than standard if you tread on the loud pedal it will go better than standard but use more fuel .

Iv had diesels remapped for betterin the first palce.mpg and low down torque seemed to work for me

Last one was a few years back it was a Vauxhall sportive Astra van, it was a flying machine to start with & unbelievable once remapped

Surely the manufacturers would set the engines for this In the first place? Better mpgs would surely help sell the vehicle?

I have heard of increased engine temperature and boost pressure leading to premature failings of turbos etc. Hard to tell how accurate it is though. I often think (without too much of a sweeping generalisation) that someone having a remap will be someone looking to push their engine harder (acceleration or heavy towing) so not necessarily the fault of the remap.

I too have had several vehicles remapped over the years & all have been improved upon, smoothed out, vastly improving 'driveability' (fun). I understood that manufacturers set the map for a particular market (climate, emissions, fuel quality etc). Haven't looked back but took some getting used to short shifting as the torque develops earlier.

Good things and bad things about this, a guy I shoot with got a new ranger 65 plate (sure he said it was about 210bhp as standard ? Tell me if I am wrong ) after about 4 months Ben being ben had it re mapped to about 255bhp 6 WK later it through a con rod nearly destroyed the engine totally took it back to ford, they new what had been done and when so they said the warranty was void, £5400 for repair all to get a extra 5 mpg , he wasn't right happy when I said £5400 would buy an awful lot of diesel.

Good things and bad things about this, a guy I shoot with got a new ranger 65 plate (sure he said it was about 210bhp as standard ? Tell me if I am wrong ) after about 4 months Ben being ben had it re mapped to about 255bhp 6 WK later it through a con rod nearly destroyed the engine totally took it back to ford, they new what had been done and when so they said the warranty was void, £5400 for repair all to get a extra 5 mpg , he wasn't right happy when I said £5400 would buy an awful lot of diesel.

he needs to chase the remappers then ,+n a ranger 3.2 will only safley remapp to 230hp

Surely the manufacturers would set the engines for this In the first place? Better mpgs would surely help sell the vehicle?

The van would only go along 30 mph roads in 3rd, 4th was labouring witch is crazy

Once remapped it would happily go along at 30ish in 5th so this is How it returned more mpg

From memory I gained an extra 80 miles to 100 miles per tank