13-7 core wire change?

Thesnarlingbadger

My auto mechanics are pretty limited I can do basic wiring and thats about it so if what I'm saying doesn't make any sense just let me know.

So basically my transit when linked to the chipper had hyper-flashing indicators, when I took the trailer away all was well. The chipper is a 7 pin socket and the van a 13, so I have one of those adapters attached to the back of the van at all times.

Now recently the van indicators have been hyper-flashing even when the chipper is not attached. Sometimes it goes back to normal indicator speed when my foot is on the brake. I know it is going to be and afternoons work sorting all this crap out (at least).

But I am just thinking as I am going to be taking the 13 pin socket off and rewiring to eliminate to possibility the small corrosion in the socket is causing this drama, can I possible just rewire in to a 7 pin socket and take away the adapter completely? If I can do this does any body know what wires I'll be doing away with or joining or is this just a ridiculous idea and just stick with whats there already?

I was going to put resistors on the chipper as they are LED bulbs and I'm assuming that is what was causing the hyper-flashing on the chipper due to the resistance but I'm thinking now maybe this may also be resolved changing a 13 to a 7 wire system? probably not.

Hope this makes sense and isn't a load of gobbledygook. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The 13 pole plug is for caravans really.

The only useful addition is the reversing light.

Other poles are permanent +, ignition +, separate earth's for these etc.

It's not going to fix the hyperflashing if you change it, but it may solve your random faults.

Nearly all weird behaviour of trailer lights is down to bad earth.

The 13 pole plug is for caravans really.

The only useful addition is the reversing light.

Other poles are permanent +, ignition +, separate earth's for these etc.

It's not going to fix the hyperflashing if you change it, but it may solve your random faults.

Nearly all weird behaviour of trailer lights is down to bad earth.

Yeah checked all the earthing. Will run a new earth wire to make sure though.

So your saying a can just seal off the wires linked to reversing and just use the 7 vital wires?

Yeah I guess the hyper-flashing on the chipper is going to need load resistors and hopefully I can get to the bottom of it all Friday afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

img_13pin.jpg

So all pins 8-13 are not doing anything for you.

I don't know how clever that particular vehicle is though, on some the vehicle diagnostics include the trailer lights.

I'd just chop em and see.

Ahh brilliant cheers Rover. That's a big help. I'll get the snips out on Friday. Bloody hate wiring with my sausage fingers. Thank again

Sounds like your going backwards to me

Id put a 13 pin plug on the chipper if the van was already a 13 pinner

I just want to get rid of any unused wires. Plus most vans are 7 pin so saves me forgetting a converter if I end up using other chippers or trailers. I don't have a caravan and don't plan on getting one anytime soon. But I get your point

I just want to get rid of any unused wires. Plus most vans are 7 pin so saves me forgetting a converter if I end up using other chippers or trailers. I don't have a caravan and don't plan on getting one anytime soon. But I get your point

Pros and cons to everything

Either way is better than those dam adaptors