New ranger problems.

markieg31

My friend has a 2013 ranger 2.2 limited, real nice truck all the bells and whistles. His wife filled it up with diesel and then it wouldn't start. Another friend just happened to be there and suspected a naff battery as it was turning over real slow. Tried jump leads- no good.

In the end it was left up to the AA to sort.

After contacting him later in the evening to see if it had been sorted he told me it had seized- a common problem with the engine apparently.

I think it is on 70k and that is mostly motorway miles.

New engine been quoted 8-9k for a replacement so that would be the truck written off!

Anyone else heard of this??

It has had an easy life no towing just had a kayak on the roof from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

Apparently I've heard the bottom ends go in them.

I bought a van off an engine rebuilder (Cabstar that he had bought with a blown engine). He reckoned that the Ford 2.2 and the Nissan 2.5 engines keep him in business, and the problems all stem from people not changing the oil regularly enough. Manufacturers' 18000 mile service intervals aren't regular enough for these engines with EGR etc. 5-6000 mile oil changes (as in the old days) are essential and will offer longevity apparently.

Having heard a few rumours and read PeteB's tale regarding the 2/3 they use for company vehicles it would certainly be something to consider come 'new truck time'. Regardless of what Ford recommend with regard to oil changes i simply couldn't let the oil stay in the engine longer than 6k (miles). s'just me ya see, i is a stickler fer oil and filter changes.