FWD 'v' RWD...

Ty Korrigan

Hello,

I already know something having run 2 FWD vans towing a trailers but given the slight weigh advantage and price, are FWD tippers really that bad?

Towing a 750kg chipper, possible with a grinder in the back.

Also, on a separate note, tool lockers, has any-one retro-fitted one to an existing tipper body?

Either on the body or reduced the tipper body itself to make room.

I appreciate any advice.

Ty

Have only had an issue with fwd when you're going up a steepish hill from a standing start, with a full load of chip & chipper, if it's wet she'll just spin!

Front wheel drive much better off road unladen.

All terrain tyres do help but only on driven axle.

Tip for newish transits (may work on other trucks?) if the back wheel are spinning in mud or whatever pull up handbrake 2 or 3 notches & it should reduce the slip enough for you to get traction

i ran a renault master with a crane on it that would lift 1.5 ton for a year super on fuel would do 42.9mpg easy on a good run staying at 55mph would do 50mpg got pics to prove. as for weight carrying it was a double cab and with the crane legal payload of 920kg with me and half a tank of diesel. but would regular chuck 1500kg on the back of it and still wont sluggish but was a 120bhp model master. had 2 full pallets of turf on the back of it and still pulled strong and kept pulling the same as the iveco daily and that only had half a pallet of turf on. as for towing never got around to fitting a tow bar and trying it and it got written of by a head on collision. had a transit befor and the master was more faster and not as dead with weight on. down sides with the 2 pallets of turf was very twitchy/ floaty at 60/70mph compared to drw drive

ran cabstar tipper for along time had tool boxes under the tipper body on one side of the frame and between the frame rails both opening from above with the body up for security replaced back tyres with 31 10.50 super of roads then kumho kl71s not as self cleaning in the soft stuff

I run both a citroen relay 3.0 160 hp cage tipper with a tool box which I love . No drive train noise , high geared and a nice cab , however I got this to be the primary vehicle and it really doesn't carry the weight quite so well (it does have a massive cage though) . It tows fine and for me does the job . I also had to buy a transit as the citroen was supposed to replace our iveco and the twin wheel rear wheel drive does carry the weight much better .

If your work is urban and your not loaded to the top the fwd all the way for me (my foreman completely disagrees)

Hope this helps .