What would you take Amazon vs 2wd rav4

gensetsteve

Thinking of taking teenage son to glen coe in the new year for bit of snow boarding / skiing. I have a 2wd rav which I love driving even on long runs but if we hit snow ice on the road would it be ok with winter tyres. Or should I just take the Amazon and suffer 1/2 the miles per gallon but at least we have allterrains and 4 wheel drive.

With the weather as it is just now an amphibious vehicle would be more use than a car.

I'd wait and see nearer the time as to what conditions are like before deciding - the west coast is much more variable than the eastern ski centres such as Glenshee, Cairngorm and the Lecht.

Either way, you'd be better off taking the Rav and buying some snow chains in case the going gets difficult.

Assuming a 1000 mile round trip with the Amazon doing 20 mpg and the Rav doing 40 that's a difference of 25 gallons. At £1.15 a litre that's £130 which is enough for a decent set of snow chains plus change.

Thanks for all the advise I would like to go to the alps but my son needs his first adult passport and you can't express that.

Your right about the oil being good ballast. Last time it went used all 5 litres :w00t:

The deciding factor for me is rav is more fun and as you say does 40 mpg LC does 20 but need to consider the safety side.

I think it's easier to drive a small car in snow than 2.5 tonnes of dead weight even with 4 wheel drive. You can slide the rav 4 on demand and know exactly where it's going to go. Big 4x4 will jest go where the ice takes it.

Thanks for all the advise I would like to go to the alps but my son needs his first adult passport and you can't express that.

Your right about the oil being good ballast. Last time it went used all 5 litres :w00t:

The deciding factor for me is rav is more fun and as you say does 40 mpg LC does 20 but need to consider the safety side.

I think it's easier to drive a small car in snow than 2.5 tonnes of dead weight even with 4 wheel drive. You can slide the rav 4 on demand and know exactly where it's going to go. Big 4x4 will jest go where the ice takes it.

A front wheel drive car on winter tyres with the little symbol that means snow and ice. I think it looks like a little hill, will outperform any 4x4 on normal tyres.

I have spent a fair amount of time driving to mostly foreign ski resorts and staying in them with various vehicles and there is no comparison regarding safety and performance.

Saying that, last time we boarded in Scotland about three years ago a friend drove in a Ford Mondeo on standard tyres, the roads were so well kept there was no need for chains or snow tyres. From memory we did Glenshee, Nevis range, Aviemore, then somewhere near the place with the Salmon run thing in the middle of the town, which I can not recall the name of.