What year and model Hilux should I get?

Woodworks

Got to get a new single cab pickup. Completely sold on a Hilux but cant suss out out what year and spec.

This is what I want so what models fit the bill?

I do log deliveries (short trip so don't want DPF). Loads could be up to 800kg but 1000kg would be nice.

Single cab with a large load space.

Towing a 1000 kg trailer at least once a week for an hour or so. Occasionally a 2600kg on steep Devon lanes

Not a lot of milage say 8000-10000 per year.

Air con as it's seems the best way to clear condensation on soggy Dartmoor days.

I want to buy once and keep for many years. So what should I be looking for and don't say Dmax :lol:

Thanks Beau

Pre 2011 to avoid a dpf I think. 3.0L will suit you better than 2.5 based on duty cycle you describe. Will also use less fuel but not sure they put the 3.0 in the single cab?

Reckon you should fit a Webasto Hot-Start to rid you of short trip woes for ever.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Beau, is new an option?

If so, Mole Valley membership gets you 15% discount with Snows and then, if vat reg'd, another 20% back through HMRC, plus it's AIA 100% capital allowance.

It starts to come in at sensible money plus warranty, and MoT free motoring (notwithstanding yr current issues!)

Worth a thought??

Nice idea and with a bit of scratching around could probably do it but the Isuzu was my first foray into new motoring and is going to have wasted a small fortune in my world so not keen to dabble with new again. Have a warranty on the Dmax but that has meant nothing when comes to DPFs. Just think with what I will end up with from you know who I will have enough to buy what is generally considered a near bomb proof truck and have a bit to spare to deal with any problems that do materialise. Just it will be 6-8 years old with 100k on the clock :001_rolleyes: not good when I put it like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my trailer test in a new l200, powerful isn't a word I'd use to describe it when towing, but nice enough ride though, however the clutch used to stink just backing the trailer up a small incline (and no I don't ride the clutch!). This alone would be enough to put me off particularly for Beau shuttling around Devon lanes.

I've just converted a 04 L200 into a tipper. Had a 03 Hilux before and the L200 is a far better vehicle, more power, better ride, better interior and you can hardly tell when you have a big load on where the Hilux was like driving a barge!

They're pretty old and dated now, the 04 and 03 models you mention. Underpowered motor in the hilux and troublesome engines for the l200. I think woodworks was looking for, and since brought a newer generation hilux :thumbup1: