My L200 build

flatyre

Hey folks have decided to create a thread to document the L200 build. You don't get much of a 4x4 for £200.

tn_1_zpsmue1p9zp.png

tn_4_zps8w0aam6a.png

tn_3_zpsv1wb802d.png

tn_2_zpscnzn8e9w.png

There was a hole in the tank which meant draining and cleaning out the whole fuel system as it was polluted by congealed diesel. Will flush and repair the tank and fit a new fuel line as the old one looked knackered.

tn_7_zpsxkngryoq.png

That's mostly fifteen years of muck and grime on the tank. The chassis is really good up to the rear section which is pretty rotten now the tub is off. The top and bottom of the chassis rails are solid but the sides are shot, as is the spare wheel cross member, tub mounts, one rear spring hanger, and diesel tank rear hanger. Sounds bad but much of what's rotten will be removed anyway to make way for new cross members that will support the ram, pump, rear winch etc.

tn_5_zpst3ufq07j.png

tn_6_zpsqhbnga6e.png

Made a template for the sides of the chassis rails, will use 4mm plate to make the first one then after a trial fit i'll get a local firm to plasma cut the other three. I'd like a 4" suspension lift so am toying with making the new rear hangers 2" longer and once fitted with high walled all terrain tyres, should give me a nice stance. That's the plan, just need to weld up some extra bracing to hold the rails in place while the works going on.

Should be interesting, surprisingly little underneath a pick-up once the tub is off. The chassis looks quite light compared to say a Land Rover, that isn't a criticism by the way, just an observation. I take it you're intending putting a tipper back on? plus a winch, she'll be the business.

Good Luck, crack on, need to see her finished :thumbup1:

Can't beat nights in the workshop 👍

Since she's a doublecab and your going to be having some fair weight on the axle may be worth some uprated springs if budget allows, if not cut a leaf out of an old transit set and add it in 🙂

Once your done mix some diesel up with waste oil and get as much inside the chassis as you can, helps keep her healthy 👍

Keep us posted !!

Thanks for the support folks, not sure if brave is the word, daft maybe! There isn't much to them chassis wise, and the L200 seems to have a lighter chassis than most pickups. The rails are going to be coated inside and out with Kurust then waste oil, then encased in new 3mm metal (4mm is a bit ott), she'll need heavier springs and shocks in the rear so that's an interesting point with the transit leafs.

Edited by flatyre

You want the extra spring second from the top I.e where your springs mount on there bushes should be supported underneath if this makes sense? All you need is another spring of similar width and long enough to cover the distance, if you search around you will find some at a breakers..

Also check your U bolts are long enough to allow for it :)

Thanks for the support folks, not sure if brave is the word, daft maybe! There isn't much to them chassis wise, and the L200 seems to have a lighter chassis than most pickups. The rails are going to be coated inside and out with Kurust then waste oil, then encased in new 3mm metal (4mm is a bit ott), she'll need heavier springs and shocks in the rear so that's an interesting point with the transit leafs.

midland springs in birmingham sell leaf kits with pre bushed with new u clamps for £200 delivered heavy duty or you can have custom ones

i'll see what the local 4x4 breakers have. Just a curiosa but is it possible to get some sort of valve that allows you to run two rams separately off the one pump? Just asking as I might build my own towable hydraulic log splitter some day and was wondering if I plumbed in a hydraulic hose running from the tipping gear to the back of the L200, I could then connect up the splitter and run it off the pickup?