Hilux 3.0 litre Auto - any good ?

Johnnyboxer

Anyone tell me if they're any good ?

Found a 16 pre-reg one with 3 miles on it at a cracking price - last of old model

Just for general business use, not much towing

Is the auto nice to drive

I know mpg might be lumpy, so may get it chipped with a Tuneit or Steinbauer

Need to swap to a commercial & don't fancy a van for work

Edited by Johnnyboxer

I've a 3.0 auto, done 25k in a year, get a steady 28mpg mixed driving and towing my big ifor tipper with wood/avant/chipper about 20% the time.

No complaints although I do think a chip would reallyrelease the engines potential.

I got used to the auto after the first week (my first auto) and it's a pleasure to drive.

I had DMax (manual) and Ranger (auto) on test last week.

DMax dealer said have it for several days, do what you want with it, tow, go off road, whatever, even OK'd the Mrs to drive it, bring it back when you're ready. It has 5 yr warranty and he offered a loaner if I had a gap whilst selling the 110 before he could source a new vehicle. Couldn't do enough, really faultless customer service.

Ford said I could have the Ranger for 2 hrs, no towing, no Mrs to drive.

Price wise - nothing significant to differentiate the 2.

I just didn't like the DMax.

That's all just waffle really, the point of the question is why might an auto be preferable over a manual?

Someone told me it's better MPG for towing, any views on that? Or any negatives for Ranger?

DMax is certainly cornering the ag sector down here, can't move for them at the markets.

Apol's for derail from Original PU question!! 😳

Poor mpg towing with the manual Dmax. Never got over 30 mpg towing or otherwise and think Dean on here gets claims high thirties out of his auto. 30 is not awful but when they claim 38 as the combined figure :thumbdown: You looking at Roger Young? They are not interested once they have made the sale.

I've a 3.0 auto, done 25k in a year, get a steady 28mpg mixed driving and towing my big ifor tipper with wood/avant/chipper about 20% the time.

No complaints although I do think a chip would reallyrelease the engines potential.

I got used to the auto after the first week (my first auto) and it's a pleasure to drive.

First auto for me too, so that's good to hear

Not many of the old models left so it's Hobson's choice

I think it's one of the last in uk dealers

Metallic, auto Invincible 3 miles on clock and pre reg - will be 3 months old when released for £19k + Vat when the new model Hilux Invincible auto is well over £25-£26k + Vat

Edited by Johnnyboxer