New Navara NP 300

grahamc

There seems to be a lot written about the range of new pick up trucks out there. Does anyone actually own the new Navara 300, and what do they think of it. It seems well specked, and with a 5 year warranty, has it turned the corner with regard reliability and some of the gremlins. Test drove one last week and was impressed. Any comments, good or bad from owners / people who have driven them would be much appreciated.

I test drove two new NP300 Navaras a couple of days ago. A manual Tekna and an auto N Connecta (16 plate demonstrators with Euro 5 engines). I had only recently got around to thinking of a Nissan after hearing of past problems with the earlier Navaras. I have never owned a Navara and my driving experience of them is less than one hour, however...

I was impressed by the handling and the engine seemed quite lively. The manual gearbox was easy to use. The one with the auto box seemed to me to be revving quite high before changing gear and seemed a bit too busy when driving around the lanes.

I like that there is an option for rear diff-lock, I haven't come across that on the other contenders.

I didn't find the drivers seat comfortable, the leather one was particularly stiff and I wouldn't have one out of choice, the cloth one was OK but not great.

I'm interested to try a Dmax with an auto box but overall I really wish that Toyota would get to grips with the gross towing weight thing (i.e. plate the Hi-Lux at 3500kg gross trailed).

Cheers,

Tom.

Had a look at the ranger also and found that a decent truck. Liked the rear / side camera set up on the teknik which is standard as opposed to an option on the ranger limited, and like the idea of a 5 year warranty with the Nissan, as opposed to the 3 year ford warranty. I don't think there is a lot to split the 2 to be honest, and like you say, you buy the 1 you feel you like the most.

There seems to be a lot written about the range of new pick up trucks out there. Does anyone actually own the new Navara 300, and what do they think of it. It seems well specked, and with a 5 year warranty, has it turned the corner with regard reliability and some of the gremlins. Test drove one last week and was impressed. Any comments, good or bad from owners / people who have driven them would be much appreciated.

I think Steve ( the boss ) has one . He will be along soon I expect ........:001_smile:

I've got one coming on 1st sept - never even driven one tbh but have had three D40s with no issues and have only heard good reports of the new one so thought it worth a punt (I like the look of it and the spec is great, so want to stick with what I know). I saw a ranger today that looked great with a big American style grill and massive wheels, but otherwise I reckon the nav is the best looking truck and the old one was far and away the best to drive amongst its competitors so I'm expecting the new one to be even better with coils all round. The warranty is massive so there shouldn't be any surprises that can't be resolved!

Ps - I'll let you know if it's crap!

I'm interested to try a Dmax with an auto box but overall I really wish that Toyota would get to grips with the gross towing weight thing (i.e. plate the Hi-Lux at 3500kg gross trailed).

Cheers,

Tom.

The new HiLux due by the end of the year will have 3500kg towing capacity I believe. They have had the higher limits abroad but apparently it was Toyota UK who were not prepared to warrant the higher limit. Things have obviously changed.