Land Cruiser Amazon - manual or auto

Tom at Heartwood

Here's a new thread as a spin off from the one on the theme of Disco 3 experiences.

If I go for a Land Cruiser Amazon instead of a Discovery, for a heavy towing but comfortable workhorse that is capable of high miles, then should I go for a manual or auto?

There are more autos available than manuals and I appreciate that is down to personal preference at the end of the day. If auto then there are the three speeds up until 2003 and the four speeds after that. Is the 4 speed a marked improvement over the 3 speed and are there particular issues with each?

Your thoughts and experiences would be welcome once again.

Tom.

I had a 4.2 diesel manual box for 20 years , worked hard , towed better than any other vehicle I have ever owned and never gave me any major problems in all that time .

I drove an auto a few years back and it felt pretty good , maybe not quite as lively as mine , I recon you'll struggle to find a manual box these days though.

Auto, the 3 speed box is lovely, it flotes along with cc on and just take overdrive off on hills, mine was a 4.7 V8 running on gas much nicer smoother and powerful then the diesel and with lpg there's not much difference in mpg in fact the petrol / lpg might have the edge