Discovery 3 - any experiences?

Tom at Heartwood

I'm looking for a comfortable and rugged 4x4 with 5 seats that will tow 3.5t without strain. I aim to work locally but still seem to end up spending a lot of time travelling to sites. I've looked at the various current double cab pick-ups that are rated to tow 3.5t but have my concerns about whether any of them are heavy and tough enough although fuel consumption is appealing. I like Land Cruiser Amazons and you get a lot for the money but fuel consumption is off-putting (and I'm a fan of Overlander Stan's imports as well).

It occurs to me that a Discovery 3 might suit my needs. Plenty of vehicle weight, powerful TDV6 engine and well regarded for regular towing as well as being comfortable for longer journeys. Fuel consumption averaging 30mpg (not towing), plenty around and probably as much useful space in the back as a double cab pick-up plus scope for a very big roof rack. The disadvantages seem to be electrical, parking brake and exhaust gas recirculation niggles so it would make sense to go for a basic model to reduce the number of things that can go wrong. I guess that they are a fairly complex vehicle with a new price tag to match so repair costs could be high.

I guess I would be looking for an unabused 2005/06 with 80k on the clock for around £7K.

It would mean a change in work style for me as I currently run a 1993 Iveco Turbo Daily 4x4 (which I'm very attached and would keep for local jobs) that accommodates tools, tool boxes, many different tubs of fuel and oil, swing lift, Jo Beau, bulk bags, logs, climbing kits etc. There just doesn't seem to be anything more modern and reasonably priced to match that has rugged 4WD, 3.5t towing capacity and all the room inside but some drawers and boxes and a good roof rack on a Disco would hold a lot.

Anyway, your thoughts and experiences of Disco 3 for forestry and arb would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for a comfortable and rugged 4x4 with 5 seats that will tow 3.5t without strain. I aim to work locally but still seem to end up spending a lot of time travelling to sites. I've looked at the various current double cab pick-ups that are rated to tow 3.5t but have my concerns about whether any of them are heavy and tough enough although fuel consumption is appealing. I like Land Cruiser Amazons and you get a lot for the money but fuel consumption is off-putting (and I'm a fan of Overlander Stan's imports as well).

It occurs to me that a Discovery 3 might suit my needs. Plenty of vehicle weight, powerful TDV6 engine and well regarded for regular towing as well as being comfortable for longer journeys. Fuel consumption averaging 30mpg (not towing), plenty around and probably as much useful space in the back as a double cab pick-up plus scope for a very big roof rack. The disadvantages seem to be electrical, parking brake and exhaust gas recirculation niggles so it would make sense to go for a basic model to reduce the number of things that can go wrong. I guess that they are a fairly complex vehicle with a new price tag to match so repair costs could be high.

I guess I would be looking for an unabused 2005/06 with 80k on the clock for around £7K.

It would mean a change in work style for me as I currently run a 1993 Iveco Turbo Daily 4x4 (which I'm very attached and would keep for local jobs) that accommodates tools, tool boxes, many different tubs of fuel and oil, swing lift, Jo Beau, bulk bags, logs, climbing kits etc. There just doesn't seem to be anything more modern and reasonably priced to match that has rugged 4WD, 3.5t towing capacity and all the room inside but some drawers and boxes and a good roof rack on a Disco would hold a lot.

Anyway, your thoughts and experiences of Disco 3 for forestry and arb would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom.

Be very careful, we have Three of these & you need a large pot of money to keep them running. I have spoke to people that have them & have been lucky but we have not. Three engines, both autos have had gearboxes & torque converters, fuel pump, air flow meters, reversing sensors, compressor, cross over valves, suspension linkages & bushes are annual replacements, injectors, discs & pads, alternator just to mention a few.

This is the 2.7 Jaguar engine, I believe the Disco 4 is a lot better.

ignore the above! Body doesn't have to come off to do belts etc

I've had 4 of them all commercials and they are fine. Every motor gets a failure. Get a later model one.

They make jap crap look like toys, and are effortless at towing.

Cheers,

Tom.

Beautiful trucks, great to drive and tow with.

I have highlighted in red where you may be mis-informed.

If you are going have one may as well get the XS for the cruise control, heated seats and screen etc. These don't go wrong anyway.

As Dean has already mentioned. The average bill for repairs will be quite different to your current truck.

If I was to have another Disco it would be less than a year old, run it till the warranty ends and sell it. Not worth the trouble or time off the road if it's your only vehicle.

On a side not you can get the same year Range Rover 4.4 petrol (no lpg kit) for similar money but it will be much tidier and have all the toys already. I wouldn't worry about the fuel consumption anyway. The repairs on either will outweigh a few quid you might save on fuel.

quite a few disco's out there with over 200k on the clock. used by the fake police wombles on the motorways.

The only real difference on the old base models was no air suspension which is just crap. they still have EGR/park brake etc

I use local garage to service and do routine stuff and no more expensive than the audi.

I've just parted with my 56 plate disco, it was a fantastic car, I really miss it. Mine had done 130'000 miles and the auto box was starting to go, could have had it reconditioned for about £1k with 12month waranty, but was warned that the turbo would probably go next, body off job, £2k+, and then the engine would probably blow.

I've replaced it with a Landcruser Amazon can't say I've noticed it using much more fuel than the disco, although I never got more than about 22mpg from the disco. The Amazon is nice, but I preferred the disco, it was a great motor to drive.

I sold a four year old disco four about a year ago. With out doubt one of the best 4x4 to drive but built from junk a complete disaster had nine discos over 20"years won't touch another LR product now. I love the old discos can't believe how bad the ford effort was.