Lorry cab swap

Al Cormack

Has anyone find this?

The cab on my 18t iveco has seen better days. I can get hold of a slightly later tector cab for around £500 but wiring will be different due to it having an ecu.

Not sure how involved it would be, but could be cheaper than patching and welding, plus it's in the right colour of white, so no need to paint.

Cheers....Al

Would be better to get the right cab for the swap as it would be simple and quick and you have pleanty of spares, there's not much gain to putting a later shape cab on as there almost identical and the wirering will be a challenge

Hi Al, where has your can rusted? Mine had gone where they mostly seem to at the bar of the B pillar of yours is the same this is very easy to repair effectively.

The cab swap seems a good option but I found they were hard to find in a good enough condition to warrant swapping and also there are lots of plastic air pipes that come up to the cab and they're fine if left alone but if messed about with would likely need replacing and some of them are not cheap.

Hi Billy

Yes it's the bottom of the b posts mainly, and also the bottom seam at the rear of the cab.

Truck breaker I know has some good cabs and in the right colour for me as well.

Just don't know how long the job would take. I can't so welding so would have to pay someone to do that. I could do a cab swap though...

Al.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1466876365.356798.jpg.61eba101d1d5cadde87d10e865f1a2e3.jpg

Mine was like that and a hole in he side of it just out of shot patched up both sides in a day and re painted easily.

I've not swapped a cab but assuming you have a crane or telehandler etc it should be fairly straight forward.

Just depends how many parts get broken in the process which can't be replaced same day which would hold up the job.

What's involved in spraying a cab? I take it its not as particular as spraying a car?

Mine had some damage up top presumably from a crane incident. We just sprayed it in 2k outside this time of year. Looks fine and easy to do second thing I'd sprayed after the body we built on the lorry with the proper gear I.e not rattle cans.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1466895535.861309.jpg.da9b523816f9259bedd95e04e9602fb4.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1466895626.089762.jpg.e86a9b3015924c730763ca3d5cd63856.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1466895706.613021.jpg.1d6ac07fe96df37e9b26ce100b6399ce.jpg

What's involved in spraying a cab? I take it its not as particular as spraying a car?

If you want it to look good, there is just as much involved. Many areas are individually much smaller which can make life a little easier but its not a game changer.

A good finish is all about the prep.

Colour changes are much more work, if you don't do the reveals it will look like a bodge every time you open a door.