Railway sleeper fixings

Andyd1606

Hi all I don't normally do much landscaping but I have a job helping a friend out with their garden in a couple of weeks.

They have some railway sleepers which I'm going to build a retaining wall with and raising the garden level to the wall.

The wall will be about 2ft in height so nothing massive but how should I fix these to the floor to secure them. I was thinking metal reinforcing posts into concrete or is there a better more practical way I haven't thought of. Thanks in advance Andy

Hi all I don't normally do much landscaping but I have a job helping a friend out with their garden in a couple of weeks.

They have some railway sleepers which I'm going to build a retaining wall with and raising the garden level to the wall.

The wall will be about 2ft in height so nothing massive but how should I fix these to the floor to secure them. I was thinking metal reinforcing posts into concrete or is there a better more practical way I haven't thought of. Thanks in advance Andy

A novel solution is to nail two lengths of old ratchet strap to the top end of the sleeper and then trail this back to the earth behind, just keep them deep enough to be out of spade depth. 2 metre length should be adequate, the friction from weight of soil on the straps prevents the sleepers being displaced.

Search google for reinforced earth.

Metal rebar as you were thinking. As added security concrete in a few pieces of 16 mm threaded bar to hold the sleepers together and down. 2 ft of soil should not exert much pressure unless its waterlogged so ensure good drainage and a flat footing and you should be fine. I have seen sleepers used to form a wall with just rebar driven into the ground. Depends on the ground of course.

Thanks guys I think I will probably end up concreting some posts in behind the wall to be hidden slightly below the earth level rather than metal posts.

Interesting idea the ratchet strap can see the idea of it working not sure how long until it would rot down under the earth.

Mike how thick are the shims you use does this leave a noticeable gap between the sleepers of just enough for the water to escape

Thanks guys I think I will probably end up concreting some posts in behind the wall to be hidden slightly below the earth level rather than metal posts.

Interesting idea the ratchet strap can see the idea of it working not sure how long until it would rot down under the earth.

Mike how thick are the shims you use does this leave a noticeable gap between the sleepers of just enough for the water to escape

We use 3mm and geo tex the back yo stop the gap filling with crap.

Have a look on our site you will se some jobs on there and you can hardly see 3mm. We have just completed a long run and the shims help keep it dead level.

IMO anybody willing to secure a 17okg piece of timber with the end of a ratchet strap should not be a landscaper and how would you secure:laugh1: the top one sky hooks

Andy we use a deck screw with a breaking strain better than a coach bolt first sleeper needs pre drilling as they take some getting in can't remember the name

We use 3mm and geo tex the back yo stop the gap filling with crap.

Have a look on our site you will se some jobs on there and you can hardly see 3mm. We have just completed a long run and the shims help keep it dead level.

IMO anybody willing to secure a 17okg piece of timber with the end of a ratchet strap should not be a landscaper and how would you secure:laugh1: the top one sky hooks

Andy we use a deck screw with a breaking strain better than a coach bolt first sleeper needs pre drilling as they take some getting in can't remember the name

Timberlok from screwfix

Thems the fellas not cheep but I've put 1000s in and only remember breaking two mind you the one did leave a cut 3 inch long up the side of my right hand.

We have a proper Mikita tech gun for them now can't go wrong

We put ours in with a good hi torque cordless but as you say sleepers can be hard. I would think best not seal the membrane too well if there is a lot of water flow as I have known mypex to block with fines eventually. Also I have known a tanalised 5x5 post turn to total mush in less than 10 years when a lot of water is present.