Milling Services Required

JonHolyhead

Hi,

I am looking for on-site milling services to prepare some Oak that was felled a couple of weeks ago. I plan to use the timber in a new house build project that will complete in approx. 12months. I have 5 x 4meter lengths (see photos) and I am thinking that I would like to use the timber for internal doors but will be guided by expert advice. The timber is located near to Sutton Coldfield. Please reply if you can help.

Many thanks.

WP_20150625_007.jpg.0388531abe9007bd2cc1ec919e7642ec.jpg

WP_20150625_004.jpg.699b74f0db46bc822db32f336b3d4b86.jpg

WP_20150625_001.jpg.c82f1cf06f9337aa233e13d6c2a1d37c.jpg

WP_20150625_006.jpg.4d41e226ea962a8133a957475b0b10b7.jpg

WP_20150625_003.jpg.d891509a1735a43ffc5cb76d6bb2b346.jpg

What is access like?

If you can drive up to it, a portable bandsaw mill would be the best option as it it is quick. If not, you will need a chainsaw driven mill, or a Lucas.

There will be a lot of timber in there and unless you can get access to a kiln you won't get timber of the section needed for doors (probably mill at 50mm) dry in 12 months.

You could probably get enough boards to do a fair area of flooring out of that lot, assuming you don't need any for the structural parts of the house.

I suggest not milling until late September to avoid rapid surface drying causing cracks. You will then need to stack it all until around April in an open sided stack to get air through it, and then kiln it if you can, or leave it air drying over the summer if not. It would then be reasonably dry if you are using planks.

If the site means that you need to use a chainsaw mill, I can probably help.

Alec

Get the ends painted asap mate... PVA paint or something...otherwise it might start to split

if you can get a portable mill in itw ould be more efficient, chainsaw milling is a bit more wasteful (just 'cos the chain is thicker than a bandsaw blade)

Edited by dervishcarving
stupidity

Rule of thumb for drying oak is a year per inch of thickness plus a year.

So a 2" board will take 3 years to air dry then you'll need to kiln dry it. It can be done faster but that will effect the quality of timber you get at the end.

Never hear those figures - always allowed 1" per year with wood drying from both sides.

Felled November - Jan and stickered correctly always managed to get down to 16 - 17 % in the centre outside 12 months.

Then get inside living enviromnent for 4 months down to 11- 12%.

Anyone agree?