Low profile bar and chain

Liam88

I've got a 42" GB bar lo pro for milling off Rob D

Cuts well but I don't think you'd save much in the kerf. I'm thinking of cutting some cladding too, it would be interesting to find out how many extra boards per log you'd get from a band saw verses the cost of getting someone in

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

it would be interesting to find out how many extra boards per log you'd get from a band saw verses the cost of getting someone in

Cutting at 25mm thick, I get an extra board every 3.

That is, the timber I'd have got three boards from the chainsaw (Stihl 660/ 30" bar) will produce 4 boards with the bandmill. :thumbup::thumbup:

Cutting at 25mm thick, I get an extra board every 3.

That is, the timber I'd have got three boards from the chainsaw (Stihl 660/ 30" bar) will produce 4 boards with the bandmill. :thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers bud, would need to cut a lot of boards to out way the the cost of hiring someone in with a mobile bandsaw. I'm guessing around £300 a day??

Cheers bud, would need to cut a lot of boards to out way the the cost of hiring someone in with a mobile bandsaw. I'm guessing around £300 a day??

Don't forget Si, that the bandsaw will cut those 4 boards while you're cutting the first one with the chainsaw :)

Price is job dependent, but you are probably not too far out.

The '050' of the lo-pro chain is the gauge of the chain rather than the kerf Liam. That is the thickness of the link that fits into the slot on the bar.

The kerf is the width of the slot that the chain makes in the timber as it cuts, and is significantly wider than the slot in the bar!

More like 5/16" although it is variable with who sharpened the chain, how well the saw is set up, chain tension, bar stiffness etc.

Don't forget Si, that the bandsaw will cut those 4 boards while you're cutting the first one with the chainsaw :)

Price is job dependent, but you are probably not too far out.

Good point, tbh I'd probably be finishing my brew let alone finishing my first board ;-)

Out of interest, anyone near me (Merseyside) with a band saw?

Oregon low profile bar and chain only has a kerf of 050 but bar length only goes to 18 in. Was thinking of milling beams with bigger Alaskan then boards with small mill.

Have a chat with robd on here, the 42" lopro bar sounds like it would suit your needs. I run it on my 066/Alaskan set up for enough power to mill 36" butts.