Wood for firewood prices

Scbrown88

Hi,

Just wondering what the going rate for roundwood is currently?

Ive had a few prices as follows: £38 delivered 27t load softwood, and a price of £52t delivered hardwood (processor sized) and £50t ish undelivered and had a quote of £11.75p/t to have it delivered.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Cost per ton will depend how far it has to be hauled.

Euroforest/Tillhill etc will give you prices for delivered loads of around 23-25 tonnes.

Dont expect to be buying wood now and selling it this winter, it will be far to wet. Buy it now, store it and cut in in the spring or cut it now for sale winter 15-16.

A

Hi,

Just wondering what the going rate for roundwood is currently?

Ive had a few prices as follows: £38 delivered 27t load softwood, and a price of £52t delivered hardwood (processor sized) and £50t ish undelivered and had a quote of £11.75p/t to have it delivered.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks!

I don't buy wood myself but if you were to take an average of all the prices mooted on here then those sound in line

thanks for your reply.

The prices I've got are from suppliers within about 40 miles. We are in the Teesside area FYI

Yeah I'm aware of that, however we are putting in a biomass boiler to heat pig buildings and the farmhouses; so are building a drying chamber to both make sure we have enough wood for ourselves and to sell the excess. Therefore any wood we buy now should be bone dry after a few days in the drying room going on data i've seen from others.

I should say it's misty large sycamore and ash we'd be buying also. Does that have a bearing on price or if it's classified as hardwood does it all come under the same price range?

Just trying to figure out our potential profit margins from the respective prices.

Ash always carries a premium so the more ash in the load the more you'll be asked to pay, it will also make you're surplus logs easier to sell though. Personally, I like sycamore almost as much as its good to work with and once split it dries fast. Its interesting how farms are increasingly diversifying into energy production. I've got a pig farming friend who's got an AD plant, he asked me if I'd be interested if he put a log kiln in to use the excess heat.

Ash always carries a premium so the more ash in the load the more you'll be asked to pay, it will also make you're surplus logs easier to sell though. Personally, I like sycamore almost as much as its good to work with and once split it dries fast. Its interesting how farms are increasingly diversifying into energy production. I've got a pig farming friend who's got an AD plant, he asked me if I'd be interested if he put a log kiln in to use the excess heat.

Ahh ok, that probably explains the slightly higher prices as the two estates are pretty equidistant from us. I'll be speaking to the forester on monday so I'll be able to find out if he'll move on price if that is not the case. I believe the cheaper load of hardwood was more birch than anything else.

Yes a lot of us are using renewables to provide our heat/energy. It makes so much sense with the RHI payments the government are offering along with the savings we'll make on electricity

AD is the expensive way to go mind, hell of an outlay setting that stuff up by all accounts.

Ahh ok, that probably explains the slightly higher prices as the two estates are pretty equidistant from us. I'll be speaking to the forester on monday so I'll be able to find out if he'll move on price if that is not the case. I believe the cheaper load of hardwood was more birch than anything else.

Yes a lot of us are using renewables to provide our heat/energy. It makes so much sense with the RHI payments the government are offering along with the savings we'll make on electricity

AD is the expensive way to go mind, hell of an outlay setting that stuff up by all accounts.

The big issue with AD is the feed stock for it. Friend of mine looked at it, he needed 2000 acres of maize to feed it !!. Owing to the large amount of movements the highways people wanted him to dual carriageway the road outside his farm, that killed that.

You might just check the feedstock requirements for logs when you are getting RHI. Pretty sure they have to be from RHI approved suppliers, no reason why you cant qualify as such but another hoop to jump through.

A

The big issue with AD is the feed stock for it. Friend of mine looked at it, he needed 2000 acres of maize to feed it !!. Owing to the large amount of movements the highways people wanted him to dual carriageway the road outside his farm, that killed that.

You might just check the feedstock requirements for logs when you are getting RHI. Pretty sure they have to be from RHI approved suppliers, no reason why you cant qualify as such but another hoop to jump through.

A

Yeah its crazy, that you'd have to take all of that land out of food production to make energy, rather a waste in my book. Biomass seems a better, more environmentally friendly approach due to not needing to put much more food land into energy use instead.

We've not heard mention of this from our installers, I'll make sure it is checked now. Thanks for the heads up!

Be careful drying your own wood using the same RHI boiler as you are claiming RHI on, this is not permitted under the RHI regs. How they will ever know is another question but your probably best not to own up to doing it !

Log drying or wood chip drying kilns off an AD plant are an absolute no brainer - free heat and very cheap to install