Fungi id and possible prognosis please

Evening all,

I've had a scan through the directory but can't seem to accurately match this one. The tree is a nice Beech, dbh 4'+ (from a circumference of 4m - 13') and approximately 70' high. It sits on the edge of a mixed stand comprising Lime, Beech, Sycamore, Horse Chestnut and a lot of Holly in a Conservation Area. It has a slight lean away from the stand and across a nice lawn (now the moles have moved on!). The fungi is on the side it is leaning towards, darker at the bottom, there is an amount of white mould/mildew and some missing bark. Several years ago i removed a very large Sycamore next to it which was absolutely rotten to the core.

The client is very keen that the tree stays and hopes that having removed the ivy to expose the fungi, that full ivy removal followed by 'a treatment and some sunshine' it will all disappear.

Surely the tree is safe, it would be a shame to see it go (but it would be a nice little job!)

IMG-20130531-00737.jpg.b2510d63a1d81813efe76acf23853946.jpg

IMG-20130531-00732.jpg.dbe8049d7e419a89dc510a502827cd50.jpg

IMG-20130531-00733.jpg.b93475d2da26474d69f8f95df0a90d12.jpg

IMG-20130531-00735.jpg.cef43e2d1c169ba0d2f0d6fc9b13a034.jpg

IMG-20130531-00736.jpg.9ad7db00e57ed8e4f7aef2ff1b5532d7.jpg

IMG-20130531-00739.jpg.93c11564cce6f54508e755bdc4520ac7.jpg

IMG-20130531-00740.jpg.7583a8c7ff85d997b08cd8ba0cf41334.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having said that, if it went the other way it's straight over the main road into the village.......

Until you said this I was going to say resonance test with a mallet, which will give you an indication of whats going on inside, but with the target area being High Value, think about a detailed inspection, some one mite be willing to take on liability for the tree and come up with a retention option , but for me I would be thinking about removing it.

Jesse, many thanks for your input.

I shall be with the client within the next week anyway for another job and will discuss this with him, just didn't want to appear to be touting for work 'oh look what i've just found under the ivy....':sneaky2:

Regards,

Steve.

difficult to be 100% on these, I would vere toward T. versicolour, as bjerkandera (jesse) isnt called the smokey bracket for nowt, the underside of B. adusta is a smokey grey, and the pores would be unrecognisable at that range. Trametes on the other hand have larger pores and even at fairly distant objectives are definable.

difficult to be 100% on these, I would vere toward T. versicolour, as bjerkandera (jesse) isnt called the smokey bracket for nowt, the underside of B. adusta is a smokey grey, and the pores would be unrecognisable at that range. Trametes on the other hand have larger pores and even at fairly distant objectives are definable.

Thank you Tony,

I've had a quick read here - Trametes versicolor: The Turkey Tail (MushroomExpert.Com) (not sure whether it's a good reference or not) and it would appear that either way the fungi is there because the wood is dead. As this is at the base of a sizeable Beech within striking range of a public road and pathway (not visible, but in the background of the photos) possibly something more detailed than a practised ear with a wooden mallet may be in order. With so many mixed reports on the accuracy of Picus, what would you recommend please?

Regards,

Steve.