Cutting boards

Treemover

Looks good! Yep a thicknesser is the way forward with chopping boards - a must have as people will be standing them on the table to see if they wobble!

See if you have a friendly joinery place nearby... they charge me £20-00 an hour and they can get a lot done in an hour.

Thicknessers are a major advantage.

I would think carefully about what you want to make and how many items. If it's a reasonable amount of stuff up to 12" then a decent 'portable' model such as a DeWalt DW733 of the small Kity is a good investment (built like a tank so secondhand is fine, and DeWalt's comprehensive repair manuals, parts lists etc are all on their website to download for free - so nice to deal with a company that actually expects you to want to fix your own tools!).

If most of the stuff you want to do is bigger than this, or you won't have very much, I would do as Rob D suggests.

Alec

• 3 weeks later...
What's the best thing to do with these? I'm wondering if some of the burrs are worth salvaging, and how thick to cut.

Hi mate. Recently did some ash myself - lovely wood to cut. Real quick compared to some species.

As to what thickness, depends what you're going to use them for! If still chopping boards, I wouldn't go above 2 - 2 1/2". That'll be 1 3/4+" when dry I expect though Ash dries pretty fast. Ash chopping boards, is it close grained enough? Cricket bats, that's all I think of with Ash...

If you're milling for lumber, whatever dimension you want PLUS a little in shrinkage for the drying. Then again, you may just want a handy post now and again, so make some thick slabs and beams.

For the burrs I've no advice, never done them myself other than to lop them off as they're in the way of the cut. Yours look mostly on one side of the tree so you wouldn't want to put your first cut through them as they'll be on the 'waste' piece.

I've got a stack of Oak offcuts 1.5m high, what else can you do with 2" slabs 12" x up to 36"? Dice 'em up for carcassing on bird boxes? Seems a waste. I'm going to make boards for the volunteers who work on the reserve (that's 10 sorted and will have plenty left over). I know Rob D sells a lot through wee farm shops and the like - they go like hot cakes. Beautiful boards.

Also went to the Nantwich International cheese show this year and there was a guy there selling boards in shapes - seemed the only stall with any business to be honest! Board 'n' Bread Myself, I think his are a little tacky... Get a router on 'em and you can make them quite attractive.