Anyone like the new Stihl oil & petrol tank caps?

Andrew Barrett

Do you prefer the new or old Stihl petrol & oil tank filler caps?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the new or old Stihl petrol & oil tank filler caps?

• I like the new hand twist ones
    • I preferred the old type
    • I don't care / don't know

Hi all,

My groundie ended up with the contents of the 260's oil tank down his leg yesterday. This has happened to me more than once - and to my uncle.

Who likes the new fancy caps and who would prefer the old fashioned type that are always done up when you think they are?

I'm trying to set up a poll but never done it before so bear with me if I muck it up.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there defo a pain.

best one i did was when a new style sthil cap just fell to bits on me, i had just fueled the saw so put it to one side and told my work mate what had happened and not to use it, 5 min later grabed the saw .. why have i got a wet burning leg, look down oh what a dick the saw with the broken cap.

if so many getting this problem why is it not being flagged up with sthil by the dealers who sell them. if you are getting oil or petrol down you it can do damage to skin so is a health and safety issue and needs to be redressed. more that bend ears of suppliers and want tank changed for old style it may make sthil wake up and do something

if so many getting this problem why is it not being flagged up with sthil by the dealers who sell them. if you are getting oil or petrol down you it can do damage to skin so is a health and safety issue and needs to be redressed. more that bend ears of suppliers and want tank changed for old style it may make sthil wake up and do something

Easier said than done it seems (waking up Stihl).

There was a long thread on this topic quite a while back that got a bit heated by chilled Arbtalk standards!

Given the number of people who've had caps fall open, and I include myself, there were still some who saw no problem.

However... I've found that if you don't overfill and you check the cap after closing there is no problem! Sometimes the white outer part and black inner section don't counter rotate as they should when you remove the cap; they just need the smallest anticlockwise twist against each other and you're sorted.

So my opinion is that although the caps aren't the greatest design the problem is actually user error.

Hi all,

My groundie ended up with the contents of the 260's oil tank down his leg yesterday. This has happened to me more than once - and to my uncle.

Who likes the new fancy caps and who would prefer the old fashioned type that are always done up when you think they are?

I'm trying to set up a poll but never done it before so bear with me if I muck it up.

HI ANDREW ive only done it only 1 time and it goes down your leg if it happen again tell him :laugh1:jon :thumbup: