climbing pulley advice please

holdatcharlie

Hi. I climb mainly for fun (and to maintain my own trees) - so I can't justify investing in some of the exotic hardware that I read about on Arbtalk!. I've always used a simple whiptail and blake's setup. I have experiment with a VT but (from what I read) it seems to need a pulley for that type of hitch to work best. So, what pulley would you guys recommend for the VT (and other similar hitches) for someone like me who climbs on a budget?

I have been looking at Hitch Climbers (maybe unnecessarily complicated - but then maybe also very versatile). A Pinto - seems kinda expensive compared to the HK. The ISC fix-sided pulley looks nice and cheap but I have read it only takes a max. of 12mm rope. Or maybe one of the Petzl pulleys?

Any advice will be very welcome.

I use the isc pulley I Prefer it to a hitch climber anyway. I run it on 13mm it's fine. All you need is ur friction cord pulley and two krabs. Great fun, loads of fiddling and using different knots and lengths of cord is key to find the right set up. I find the shorter the cord the better but each to there own. My favourite knots are the vt and Knut.

I use marlow boa friction cord which is the cheapest you can buy I think but I love it.

I'm in a similar situation, but I just can't help myself, I love having the gizmos....!

I spent a few quid on a closed hitch setup comprising hitch climber rapide, 75cm Yale beeline 8mm eye to eye cord, pair of DMM Ultra o crabs and a multi-saver, it's a lovely way to climb. Just got a pulley saver today to replace my practically unused multi saver as well..... Would recommend it.

Going to order a rope wrench now so I can use it for SRT as well....