An idea of mine.

Ian Flatters

these legs going to be removable so you can take them off when the mill has to pass them? :lol:

Yeah the plan is to make them kind of like the mill height adjusters so i can level up the jig on rough ground. Really its a cheap rip off of a peterson mill:001_tongue: But will be at each end so the mill doesn't need to pass them once its on the jig. Also the plan would be to lower the whole jig down for the subsequent cuts. Maybe need measure ments on the legs too?

Edited by Ian Flatters

to be honest it sounds like a very time consuming way of using an alaskan from my understanding of what you propose, youd have to stabalise the log, set all the legs at diffrnet heights for the mill to be level on rough ground, so any measure on the legs will be no use as each one will be diffrent to have the mill level, youd then need to faf about with bolting the alaskan onto the bar on with the ladder between alaskan rails and bar, then set the depth on the alaskan, taking into account the ladders depth. mill a plank off, reset the 4 legs by the same ammount prob using a tape measure, to lower the jig to mill another plank mill a plank off, reset the legs again mill a plank off reset ect

wheras the alaskan,, screw the ladder on, mill, remove ladder, set plank depth, mill, mill mill!

sorry for being a pessimist, keep thinking though!

Josh has some valid points there...

It's always been a problem for static versions of a chainsaw mill based system - it's usually always faster to just get the first plank off and mill by hand - it's cheaper, faster, less hassal......

There is something in the pipeline at the moment that could revolutionise chainsaw milling (has been in development for 2 years)... but that's all I can say at the moment...

:biggrin:

The main reason I've been toying with the idea is I've got to make some octagon shaped posts for a driveway entrance and well this seems like it would be the way to do it. Agreed on your points josh. wouldn't use it for boards but im thinking fancy posts that you can't get from a local saw mill. Also adjusting the legs im wondering if i could create a twisting effect too but that may/may not work.

Rob you certainly know how to leave us in suspense:001_tt2: