How to make beams

Andymacp

Ideally you'll need a side mill as well as a standard chainsaw mill otherwise you'll have difficulty getting the beams square.

I have a mini mill, do I just mill the top as normal then sides then turn over ?

Sounds too simple.

I have had a good look back through the threads and can't find a specific video.

Thanks for that I appreciate the help

No problem, my pleasure.

Once you've got your first cut (should be nice and level) you can remove the ladder (or whatever you are using) and run your mill directly along the surface. Set the height to the depth of beam you want - that will give you your bottom cut.

For the sides there are two options....

a) Leave the log in the same position and use an Alaskan vertical mill (which has a guide rail to keep it straight), or

b) flip the log over 90 degrees and set your ladder up again.... it will need to be set dead square to your previous milled sides. Once you've done one side you can remove the ladder again, run your mill directly along the surface and complete your final cut at the bottom.

Hope that makes sense.

cheers, steve

Yeah that makes sense, was kinda hoping there was an easier way than setting the ladder 2/4 times.

Going to try tomorrow

Yeah is a bit of a faff.... that's why the vertical mill is useful.

To make one beam you should only need to set the ladder twice.

cheers, steve

p.s.... useful to have a large carpenters square to hand for squaring up your ladder on the third cut.