Pruning instruction

treeseer

Ran into this and wrote in: Please consider revising this.

1. the 2nd cut is way beyond the undercut, leaving a lot to chance.

2. If we are limited by our tools, we need to use other tools. There are many ways to make a clean cut to the collar.--straight-bladed saws, more cuts to gradually remove, even chisels!

You guys do great work but it may be time to upgrade this one.

"Happy Monday. Thank you for your email and suggestions. We always appreciate feedback.

I consulted with our tree planting department team — comprised of certified arborists — for their thoughts. We first considered the video’s purpose and targeted audience. The video in question is geared towards novices. We are looking to introduce the basics of pruning and tools (hand pruners, pruning saws, loppers, etc.) to the general public. There is no discussion of chainsaws or pole saws in our video.

Additionally, we considered how to best convey lessons in the video. We do exaggerate the cut slightly in the video but we do so to be better display the action. Additionally, the size of the branch is relatively small and the tool is appropriate. With a larger branch and a chainsaw cut, the second cut should be much closer, if not aligned with the first cut.

That all said, we are always open to producing additional educational and instructional videos. Developing a Masters series is a great idea. Unfortunately, securing the funds to produce such instructional videos is the challenge. As you know we are a nonprofit and we welcome donations from individuals such as yourself to help fund great projects such as instructional videos. I encourage you to consider becoming a Member or making a general donation in support of our education initiatives. Alternatively, we also have a new corporate giving program that you can be part of. I hope we can count on you to help support our work.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again for your comments and commitment to caring for trees."

Thoughts? Why is using a chainsaw considered "advanced"?

We first considered the video’s purpose and targeted audience. The video in question is geared towards novices.

Why is using a chainsaw considered "advanced"?

To the target audience, a chainsaw IS "advanced".

If you were to make an instructional video of how to make pruning cuts with a chainsaw, you'd have to include all kinds of safety information and disclaimers (not using ladders, not using chainsaw above your shoulders, etc, etc).

But I wholeheartedly agree with your comment about the distance between bottom and top cut being far too big. A rule of thumb is that the distance should NEVER be more than the branch diameter.

I agree. What a strange 'instructional' video though?! You would have thought that they might have selected a branch that enabled them to demonstrate easily the points that they wanted to convey, rather than cutting a branch that was so awkward that they couldn't even make a correct final cut!

Lets all donate so they can make more crap videos 🙊

I've just watched some of their other instructional videos and they are really good; very clear and informative. It seems like it is just that one that maybe needs to be revised.

Paul, that's what irked me the worst about their stonewalling instead of changing; one bad bit of outreach can damage a group's image.