'ArbAC' - managers arb knowledge

AA Teccie (Paul)

Hi everyone, hope you're well.

In light of several recent queries, I just wanted to clarify something about the required level of managers arboricultural technical knowledge for 'ArbAC' status, if I may.

Firstly, to confirm this is NOT a failure criteria of the scheme. IF the required knowledge level is not demonstrated at assessment we will agree a CPD plan with the manager concerned and with a realistic timescale, i.e. typically upto 4 years (with a review after 2 years), to coincide with the programmed revisits to the business, and help them achieve it.

The knowledge level required is to a minimum of level 2, i.e. C&G Arb / RFS Cert Arb / ISA Cert Arb (level 2...???), BUT it is not the qualification we are looking for, although "that'll do nicely" if you have (and actually we'll still ask questions even if you have BSc Arb or PD Arb), it's the knowledge and the ability to impart that to the assessor(s) as though we were a client that's important.

So, an example:

"Mrs Miggins (joins us on every assessment) asks you to cut her 'front garden' 70ft Poplar trees down to 30ft as has been done down the road"...how do you deal with that kind of enquiry?

Reply..."I would advise Mrs M. that isn't the best option as it doesn't accord with good arboricultural practice because....(answers on a postcard please, ha!)...it is 'topping', whihc is bad practice and which will result in a large wound across the main stem section which will decay and any regrowth stems that then shoot from the sides would be likely to fail at a later date unless the tree was pruned again, typically 5-8 years time. Hence a better option would be to either do 'nowt', light reduction, or fell and replace with something more suitable etc. etc."

Now, the big question, would an ArbAC do such work, hmmm, therein lies the dilema (but we do adopt a very pragmatic approach here and wholly acknowledge you have a living to make.)

Anyway, apologies for the verbose posting...hope you kept awake.

PLEASE contact me if you have any further questions.

Thanks for reading..!

Paul

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)

poplar down to 30ft would be a pollard? Not trying to sound argumentative been stuck inside painting the kitchen so very bored

Clearly someone's not been reading their new (2010) BS3998 (p.31 sect. 7.10)...probably because it's covered in paint tins!

Take my hat off to you tho, painting is one of my many pet hates, so whenever I'm forced to do so by 'Mrs Smith' (NOT AJ) I always make a hash of it....usually take about 5 years for her to forget and ask (TELL ME) again!

Sorry...it would be 'topping', an indiscriminate and damaging way of cutting trees...commonly done and sometimes justified AND often the trees (seemingly) happily grow back....aghhhhh!!!

Thanks n hope yer finished soon..!

Paul

Paul

Arborist,

totaly understand your motives in trying to help by quoting the new version of the BS 3998, but we can not condone the breach of copyright here at Arbtalk.

I have ftr, enquired at British Standards, to see if we can get access to this & other relevent documents, in full - under licence, to be used & accessed for the discretion of the members.

I will update when i've heard anything.