Approved Contractor - review

AA Teccie (Paul)

Just a quickie to let you know this topic hasn't gone to sleep, indeed it's keeping me awake most nights...awwww!

The review is now well underway with a 'proposed' new structure almost completed and one which I sincerely hope the 'smaller' companies, i.e. 'less than 5 staff' (employees+regular subbies...to be defined), will particularly like BUT more importantly consider to be fair, equitable AND 'value for money.'

I have endeavoured to take on board, and act upon, the issues raised in previous postings and on Andy's 'POLL' (thanks again for that Andy, informal BUT very useful!) and of course the feedback we received to the website consultation...collectively an extremely invaulable exercise, many thanks to all who participated.

What I would advise if you fall in the 'less than 5' category AND you are thinking about AC status in the near future then 'hang fire' for a while, if you can, until you see the detail of the revised scheme.

In terms of timescales this MUST roll out on 1st Jan. 2011 at the latest BUT I hope we may be able to do so sooner...how much sooner = dunno at this stage.

Thanks for reading all.

Cheers..

Paul

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also going to watch with keen eyes.....

How about approved consultants scheme as well ?

As I'm sure are many..."watching with keen eyes"!

The approved (Registered) consultants is not my bag, directly, but I'm happy (no really!) to feedback to my colleague Guy (Watson) who manages the scheme any comments or feedback you have...no probs! (anything to deflect work from me...tee hee!)

Cheers..

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Just wonsering Paul.

It would be good if you could post a draught version of the mini contractor scheme on here before its roll out in finished form in January.

Although it may get shredded, it may just iron out sticking points that can be negotiated.

Not sure if that was your intention anyway?

I also wondered if there may be any industry regulation models from the states that would help to make it as inclusive as possible and not too hung up on deal breaker H&S stuff.

Any input from the TREEHOUSE may be helpful.

Just wonsering Paul.

It would be good if you could post a draught version of the mini contractor scheme on here before its roll out in finished form in January.

Although it may get shredded, it may just iron out sticking points that can be negotiated.

Not sure if that was your intention anyway?

I also wondered if there may be any industry regulation models from the states that would help to make it as inclusive as possible and not too hung up on deal breaker H&S stuff.

Any input from the TREEHOUSE may be helpful.

Hi 'Paulsbrash', thanks for the post!

Once I've got the go-ahead to release the details for comment I will do so.

Provided I get the 'draft' approved, and you employ/engage 'less than 5', I'm sure you'll be very happy with the H&S stuff as it will be based on the standard CHAS requirements (as taht's how we now accredit H&S compliance) which is actually little more than the signing of a 'declaration' commiting the company to a positive culture of H&S compliance. That said we would need to see that clearly demonstrated on the work site audit and I would still expect some level of 'written' risk assessment to be undertaken BUT, whilst ideally it would be, this needn't necessarily be to the lengths of the AA model for instance (and I acknowledge that the firm wouldn't produce written RAs for every job, particularly routine ones in the domestic sector....music to your ears?...hope so!)

Watch this space.

Cheers..

Paul

Hi 'Paulsbrash', thanks for the post!

Once I've got the go-ahead to release the details for comment I will do so.

Provided I get the 'draft' approved, and you employ/engage 'less than 5', I'm sure you'll be very happy with the H&S stuff as it will be based on the standard CHAS requirements (as taht's how we now accredit H&S compliance) which is actually little more than the signing of a 'declaration' commiting the company to a positive culture of H&S compliance. That said we would need to see that clearly demonstrated on the work site audit and I would still expect some level of 'written' risk assessment to be undertaken BUT, whilst ideally it would be, this needn't necessarily be to the lengths of the AA model for instance (and I acknowledge that the firm wouldn't produce written RAs for every job, particularly routine ones in the domestic sector....music to your ears?...hope so!)

Watch this space.

Cheers..

Paul

Now THATS a suprise! but how would that stand if somone got hurt on a "routine" job without a site specific risk assesment what is the HSE going to say?

Paul, I agree with tony - Surely there is a need for a RA on every worksite inc domestic gardens, if a team is taking the time to undertake a "verbal" RA then a written form would be as straight forward, and give the facility for the groundstaff to have the infomation in black and white should an incident arise.