ROLO Courses - Bristol, Leicestershire, Warwickshire

Stephen Arb Association

Just a reminder that we've only got 3 ROLO courses remaining this year:

Bristol - 5th October, with Tony Lane https://www.trees.org.uk/Training-And-Events/Course-Detail?id=C8D58469-E045-4B6E-9F62-3C40B0B225A7

Leicester - 10th November, with Paul Smith https://www.trees.org.uk/Training-And-Events/Course-Detail?id=E77EA6F7-75BD-4579-9A5B-9F9285B69373

Stoneleigh, Warwickshire - 23rd November, with Chris Cooper-Abbs Arboricultural Association - Course Detail

Members: £110

Non-Member: £150

These courses provide the core knowledge required to enter the ROLO Register and increase delegates awareness of health and safety issues in the landscaping and arboricultural industries.

The course, accredited by BALI, with supporting student notes, provides information on the main features of the Acts, Approved Codes of Practice and Guidance Notes relevant to work situations within the landscaping and arboricultural industries.

Book now online, or give us a call at HQ on 01242 522152 to enquire

Thanks,

Steve

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve

Can you give me an idea of what is covered over and above the NPTC's various offerings? Will a candidate holding basic NPTC relevant proficiencies (ie CS30, 31, 38, 39 and woodchipper) come away learning anything they have not already been taught? I'm confused as to where this course/qualification sits, but I understand it is supposed to be a prerequisite for getting a CSCS card.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Steve

Can you give me an idea of what is covered over and above the NPTC's various offerings? Will a candidate holding basic NPTC relevant proficiencies (ie CS30, 31, 38, 39 and woodchipper) come away learning anything they have not already been taught? I'm confused as to where this course/qualification sits, but I understand it is supposed to be a prerequisite for getting a CSCS card.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan, I hope you're well. Thanks for your post / reply here.

As you are obviously aware 'arbs' do the ROLO course because it is now effectively a pre-requisite to follow through and do the CSCS test to obtain a blue card as a chainsaw user etc.

However the ROLO course is designed as a basic / foundation H&S awareness course for operatives and can be very useful either as part of a new entrants induction training and/or as a H&S refresher for existing / experienced operatives. There would be some overlap with some aspects of the C&G's / NPTC training but some areas would be new.

Hope this helps to clarify the situation...at least a little.

Cheers..

Paul

I'm getting asked about CSCS more and more.

What are the criteria (and cost!) post ROLO please chaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hi Mark, thanks for the post here.

TBH I dunno exactly n my "go to person", my colleague Simon Cox, is currently on holiday. Hence I will check next week when he's back in and get back to you with a fuller, and more accurate, reply.

In the interim, if you approached CSCS saying you needed a card, usually for either construction site work or Highways Agency land, and said you were from the tree surgery / arb industry sector, they would direct you to BALI in the first instance (BALI are the pan-industry representative organization for the landscape and related sectors including arb.)

With BALI you have to first do their 1-day H&S foundation course (which we offer), a theory session in effect, and do the related test (multi-choice n pretty straight forward.) Once you are successful you then do your CSCS 'on-screen' test, which used to be a doddle but I'm told by some it is now more challenging and hence obtaining the work book beforehand may be worth considering.

Once successful there you then apply as climber arborist / grounds arborist ect etc, sending in your related evidence of qualification, and you are issued with a CSCS/LISS (Landscape Industry Sector Scheme) card.

There, simples :blushing:

I've no idea of costs for CSCS but £30 rings a bell.

As I say I will check all of the above with Simon n get back to you next week.

Cheers..

Paul

Note to all - be aware that booking the CSCS health and safety touch-screen test is relatively cheap and is undertaken at the same places that do the driving theory tests. You can book direct - there seem to be many third party providers out there who will book the test and supply a CSCS card at massively inflated prices.

Can you just do the test without the BALI/ROLO thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I'm not sure here Mark TBH.

Whilst I have heard of "others" doing so I think you have to declare what industry sector your working in before you do the test and obviously if you sat tree surgery / landscape it probably won't allow you to proceed...I don't know this to be a fact tho!

The other possible issue is that if you do manage to do so, say for construction labourer for instance, and you get a stickler of a site manager who says that card doesn't cover your activities whilst on HIS site, he doesn't let you on...worse case scenario and yes, of course I would say that...BUT what a PITA if that happened.

I know the formal route is convoluted but its probably safer.

Maybe, ask your clients / prospective client, what type/colour of CSCS card they would expect to see before deciding on a course of action.

Cheers, n good luck..

Paul