View Single Post
Old 14-11-10   #1 (permalink)
Chris Sheppard
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011

First attempt with small log mill

Finally got around to having a go with the Small LoG Mill I bought a couple of months back - had brought a couple of lumps of Oak back from the APF that were too nice to go through the processor and I earmarked them to make a new fire surround at home

Was at a bit of a disadvantage right from the start as the only bit of wood I could find anything like suitabel for a guide rail was a 5x3 fence post that wasn't perfectly straight and also was a bit rounded but hey ho - worse comes to the worst and I could log it up. Ended up nailing it to the log too but it seemed to hold.

First cut went a lot faster than I expected (372, semi chisel chain and 8 tooth sprocket so fairly geared up) but I suppose it wasn't really cutting much width.

Set second cut at 6" and checked after - looked fairly parallel btu the whole thing had a bit of a twist to it.

Bit of juggling with a square had the guide set up for the first of the side faces - took two attempts to get the cut where I was sort of happy.

Didn't think the finished piece came up too bad - yeah it's a little out on one side but it adds character (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it )
Attached Images